Sinister: they're coming to take me away (ha-ha)

Ewan Dunbar dunbare at xxx.net
Sun Oct 8 19:23:23 BST 2000

I open my post with the typical "well, this is my first post in a while",
which is cause that's what it is. certainly not too long, tho.

somebody mentioned that the lead singer of modest mouse is named Isaac
Brock. that's interesting, and reminds me of grade 5, when we learned
all about the war of 1812. sir isaac brock has a large monument
dedicated to him; i guess that's how most people tell them apart.

anyway, i ran into some friends last night, and we wandered around for a
while, until the po-lice found us doing nothing in a back alley. which
is interesting, cause we really were doing nothing. but andrew thought
he would be safer if he pointed out his cap gun straight off. the
officer took down his name. i guess we gave the guy something to do for
a little while, cause there's really no crime in stratford. drugs and
prostitution, but they don't really waste too much time dealing with
that, i guess. so the rest of it is mainly bar fights. and harassing
teenagers. natch.
we played 5-card draw til about 1:30, then played texas hold 'em for
about another hour. good thing we decided to play for nothing more than
chips, because i'm a terrible poker player. of course, i probably would
have done better if we'd been playing for money. i hope so, anyway.
nate's cousin jade called a couple of times. she talked mostly to
andrew. i think she was impressed by his crazy yarns, but they did
prompt her to call him a liar at one point. i had a temptation to grab
the phone and explain to her that andrew was not a liar, but, in fact, a
starfighter pilot. but i didn't.

anyway, b&s content... well, i had a dream a week or so ago in which
struan was playing at our school. it wasn't quite like the school, there
were fire escapes which led to another part of town. but that's what it
was supposed to be. most people weren't really that interested, but i
was thrilled by it. he decided to take a break for a little bit, and by
this time a lot of people were starting to get quite excited about him
and i think a couple of girls may have even been screaming. i dunno if
he was coming back or just trying to make an easier escape the way the
beatles used to. but i think i woke up then, anyway.

i am not a radioheadhead at all, and i haven't heard ok computer at all,
though most of my friends whose taste in music i trust swear by it, at
least a little. but i picked up kid a the other day, and it's a good
album. it may be a little pretentious, i'm not sure, cause the lyrics
just aren't as accessible as struan's; e.g. "women and children first"
vs "lisa knows a girl who's been abused". i dunno. i think song-stories
a la struan and lou reed are more to my taste for lyrics. if done well,
that is. they create more emotional detachment from the subject and
simply paint a picture. it's better than the whole "i'm so sad" schtick.
in fact, they are what got me interested in music at all, knowing that
there was something better than the usual "I love you/let's make
babies/and so on". that's not what kid a is, either, it's better than
that. it isn't that same as something struan would write, but it's neet
anyway. i like it.

anyway, this is thanksgiving weekend here in the great white north, and
i'm about to go continue helping out with food. it's a nice day outside,
the leaves are changing colours and so on. the sky is blue and filled
with nice puffy clouds. maybe i'll get out and wander around for a while
later.