Sinister: Resurrection Joe

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Oct 10 14:28:19 BST 2000

Nowadays I get all my Gentle Waves news from Jordi's list. What happened to
all the fans of no-nonsense, heads-down boogie-rock on this list? Aren't you
all excited about the forthcoming gigs? London's East End and Dublin. The
Cromwellian Conservatives at Jeepster have claimed Dublin for the UK. The
new EP has got a picture of a nudie lady on it. Inexplicably, even though
it's only a drawing, you can't see her nipples. The LP has got a pciture of
Isobel forcibly holding a cat against its will. If you look closely at her
face, you can see her trying to conceal her annoyance as the cat wriggles
and squiggles and sticks its claws in her. There's a song called "Loretta
Young". Who's he? I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

I had a terrible shock this morning. Future Bible Heroes were on the radio.
I tried to plug up my ears, but it was too late. It really was absolutely
awful.

I've got Record Collector magazine. Lucky old me. It calls Stevie Reverb's
contribution to the Brian Wilson tribute album "lovely". I like to think Big
Dave grabbed Wee Chris with one of those Tommy Cooper style extending arms.

The other day I saw the trailer for "North by Northwest", which is a film by
Alfred Hitchcock. In the trailer, Hitchcock churchills on about the plot and
actors and so on. He says "Eva Marie Saint" to rhyme with "paint", whereas
Lloyd Cole says it to rhyme with "font", sort of. But who is right and who
is wrong I cannot say. Was Hitchcock being deliberately dim, or was Lloyd
Cole trying to sound sophisticated by showing his mastery of the French
language? Perhaps The Piefox will know.

I wish I could go and see that exhibition of photos by Gail Chickfactor.
There's nowhere I'd like to go less than New York, but I'd go just to see
The Foxgloves gurning down at me from the wall. By the way, National Poetry
Day passed virtually unnoticed this year. Coincidence? I think not. Does
anyone know if there are going to be any more Papercuts, or have we all
retired? Nice to see Simon Reynolds talking sense for once.

Peter