Sinister: starry-spangled flavours

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Tue Oct 10 22:26:22 BST 2000

'The schemes - we have to savour',
as Rudi Voller might say.

Millerheavy rocked:

>>>I had a terrible shock this morning. Future Bible Heroes were on the
>>>radio. I tried to plug up my ears, but it was too late. It really was
>>>absolutely awful.

I have heard one of their songs. Believe it or not, I don't think it was
absolutely awful. Life might be simpler if I did. Of course, it probably
wasn't the same one that you heard. But I admire Miller for the
steadfastness of this campaign, I really do. Somebody has to hold out.

>>>The other day I saw the trailer for "North by Northwest", which is a film
>>>by Alfred Hitchcock. In the trailer, Hitchcock churchills on about the
>>>plot and actors and so on. He says "Eva Marie Saint" to rhyme with
>>>"paint", whereas Lloyd Cole says it to rhyme with "font", sort of. But
>>>who is right and who is wrong I cannot say. Was Hitchcock being
>>>deliberately dim, or was Lloyd Cole trying to sound sophisticated by
>>>showing his mastery of the French
language? Perhaps The Piefox will know.

Who ate all the n's?

I guess that 'saint' in French comes closer to rhyming with our 'rant' than
with either our 'saint / paint' or our 'font'. Does Cole really sing it like
'font'? That seems so silly. Ezra Pound writes somewhere - in the Cantos, I
think - of one who 'never dented an idea for a phrase's sake', but this
really would be a case of, er, denting correct pronunciation for a rhyme's
sake.

>>>I wish I could go and see that exhibition of photos by Gail Chickfactor.
>>>There's nowhere I'd like to go less than New York, but I'd go just to see
>>>The Foxgloves gurning down at me from the wall.

Me Also. I'd even go to see them gurning across at me in the toilets.
In the mirror, I mean.

Don't worry, only half the Foxgloves are gurning off the wall. The rest of
the wall is occupied by - who else? - Marlene. But the half that is up there
is reputedly gorgeous, and - come to think of it - not gurning at all. If
you are a lumberjack aesthete and live nearby, it is probably worth going
just to see the original of that picture, which is astoundingly even
prettier than the real-life boy Foxgloves2. It's enough to provoke Nancy
Mitford thoughts. That's what I heard.

>>>By the way, National Poetry Day passed virtually unnoticed this year.
>>>Coincidence? I think not.

Me Either.

I mean, I agree. Well spotted. Only one person kept poetry on the national
map in recent years, and it wasn't Andrew Motion.

>>>Does anyone know if there are going to be any more Papercuts, or have we
>>>all retired?

That is well put.

Don't worry, there'll be another one along in a minute.
Papercuts will return in the summer.

Actually Papercuts will return in the winter. But how did you know that all
my (possibly rejected) contributions for it, written years in advance,
feature

?

>>>Nice to see Simon Reynolds talking sense for once.

So you buy his TLizzy = Clash theory? I'm not sure I do. I think we might
need Hopkins here to make his usual point about how if you start saying
things are the same, you might as well end up saying everything's the same,
and the fun goes out of everything.

He does say that, doesn't he?

AllyCook96 (um - he really is a crook,
and if you throw a bit of mud, it sticks)

lurches from one calamity to another, Jane.

'I'm having trouble understanding Jane'. Did McNabb perhaps mean Jane Eyre?
And should there be seminars about understanding the Icicle Works? Steady
Mike could hold them,

a) because like them he's a scouser,
and more importantly,
b) because he understands how icicles work. Ice Magic, too.

But yes, calamity:

>>>to fuck me over slightly and not let me do the last
year of the course I want, I'm leaving uni.

Why did they have to do that to him just when his eyes had packed up?

As Tom Paulin used to say: offal.

>>>So my new address for this purpose is allycook96 at hotmail.com.

I am tickled by this address. (Literally - it just came up to me and
whispered delicately in my right ear.)

>>>I'll probably just skim over them all, and just spend my
time reading all my old posts in the archives, feeling good about how
amazingly witty and interesting I used to be, before I became really
dull.

Well, that's all I ever do. Reading your old posts, I mean, 96. Not reading
my old posts.

Except the one about the Stones. No bugger ever replied to the one about the
Stones. It's funny what you have to do to provoke a response on this list.
The Stones are a bit of an Ono, I mean, a no-no, round here.

>>>Unless I discover that I was always really dull, which is probably
more likely.

Yet untrue.

>>>and I guess I'm just gonna be single for a while
>and that's cool.

Cough! Splutter! Sorry.

Cor!
Why the sorrow? Why the splutter?
Have you been wallowing in the gutter
encore?

>>>Pinefox (Yeah yeah, when he plays guitar he really rocks):
>I can't swallow properly.
It's the Eskimo saliva in your throat. I know.

I wonder if the slugs and snails motif could get related to the plankton
image somehow? That would still leave the spiders left out. Only Alder ever
bothers talking about spiders nowadays.

Like marmite! Like fertilizer - filling up a ditch.