Sinister: foscarlando

Erica MacArthur Macarthur at xxx.com
Wed Oct 11 18:02:31 BST 2000

Dear List,

Apologies, this post is mostly about Fosca and Baxendale, and as I'm sure
that's not non-stop thrills to many of you, I'd suggest you boot this to the
recycle bin right about.....now.

> i have never heard orlando but the new fosca lp is
> rather nice, a bit like baxendale(gasp everyone here
> despises baxendale! sorry to fosca then) i think only
> a smidge older a trifle melancholier.

I disagree, actually. I sent Paul a very angry letter about his post about
Orlando recently, as I thought it smacked of an indie purist attitude - but
he put me straight. It was a joke! Oh, how I then choked on my coca cola! I
am a member of this list and a hardcore Baxendale fan, one of a fair few. I
don't think Fosca would see it as an insult to be linked to Baxendale, as
they're friends on that sad little circuit we all know and love as the
London tweeindie scene.

Fosca do have pop songs on their album - but you're right, they are
melancholic pop songs. That was actually what Orlando used to be all about -
misery and despair wrapped up in a soulpop package which made you want to
dance and shout. Baxendale write songs about American girls that steal your
boyfriend, trainers, computers, loving the sound of dance music and wanting
to fly away to distant lands because your girlfriend is annoying you. Fosca
are less obvious. Tim (Baxendale) wants to be Craig David. Dickon (orlando,
fosca) has always leant more towards the wordy and poetic, Cellos and
mascara. I don't know, perhaps Dickon wants to be Craig David too. Or
perhaps he'd just like to sleep with Craig David.

I'd just like to say thankyou to James T and the rest of you that sent me
things for my birthday - I was suitably touched.
Also, Hello to the sinister massive who I saw at Scalarama on Saturday.
Sorry I didn't speak to you very much, I was a bit busy being horribly
drunk. Oh, and hello to the one of you who wrote 'stupid bint' on the
Papercuts poster - burn in hell, darling! mwah. Watch your back.

Erica

http://www.chickpages.com/rants/golighty/index.html