Sinister: Things that make me go "Grrr"

David White david at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 12 18:26:45 BST 2000

Hello Sinisterees,

I'm afraid this post is going to be something of a rant about something
which really has annoyed me.
I have been sitting this afternoon watching the news on satellite TV about
all this shit that is going off in Israel and to be honest, I'm a bit miffed
about it.
Can anybody explain to me why Israel gets away with the shit it does? I mean
they are as I write this, launching numerous air attacks on Palestine cities
because two of their soldiers were killed this morning in a riot. Fair dues,
it's not on killing people in riots, but is it not a bit over the top to
then launch apparently random and indiscriminate attacks on cities full of
innocent people. What really gets me about it though is the hypocrisy shown
by countries such as Britain and the US. When old Slobba was killing the
Kosovo people last year it took about ten minutes (well ten minutes after it
appeared on telly) before the threats were issued by Clinton and the air
strikes started but they seem to turn a blind eye to Israel. Admittedly I
was not a huge fan of bombing Yugoslavia but nonetheless NATO and that lot
set a precedent by getting involved.
Why after years and years of killing and generally stirring it up in the
Middle East, ignoring UN resolutions, refusing to negotiate in peace talks
and forcefully removing Palestinians from their territory, has America and
NATO or whoever not got involved in bombing the shit out of Israel or at
least ostracising them and imposing sanctions against them? I'm quite sure
that the Palestinians are not innocent and have caused a great deal of
trouble over the years but surely their cause is no different to that of the
Kosovars in Yugoslavia and the Kuwaitis when Iraq invaded them, in that they
are people who have found their land taken off them and want the right to
live on it, and as we all know the offenders in those cases were both on the
recieving end of a fair old pounding from the West. Perhaps it only works if
there's oil or communists involved.
On a similar subject why is Israel included as part of Europe? It's quite
clearly not on the map of Europe but every year they get into the Eurovision
song contest and they play in European football competitions and are
generally percieved as a European nation (in lifestyle if not location).
Perhaps it's because they have a predominantly non-Arab population and that
in the eyes of the powers that be makes them alright, which is frankly
racist and downright insulting to the rest of the Middle East countries.
Personally, I hope the rest of the Middle East countries get involved in
this current situation and flatten the place. (disclaimer: This last
sentence is my opinion, you may agree or disagree with it but it is an
opinion and as such I stand by it, please do not bother emailing me with
abuse if you do not agree)

Now for something completely different....
It was sad to hear about the death of Donald Dewar. Somebody on the list
said that you don't really appreciate the impact a person makes until they
die and that is so true. I don't really care too much about the whole
Scottish parliament thing but now that Dewar is dead, I can now start to
appreciate how much the whole thing meant to him and how much he worked to
get it up and running. He also seemed like a genuine guy which is something
of a rarity in politics.

If you've read this far, thank you and goodnight.

David White
Visit www.belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk because you know you want to....