Sinister: How old are the stars really?

nicolson ian imn_uk at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 12 21:10:27 BST 2000

I'd sort of hoped not to post for a bit, after sending
two utterly inconsequential posts in the last week,
but I'm very bored and feel like typing for a bit.
Typing with two hands, y'know.  Fingers on the right
keys and everything!  Anyways, I'm in one of these
Internet cafes so feared by Ally96 (actually, it's not
much of a cafe.  I mean, I wouldn't come here for tea
and scones of a Sunday afternoon with my maiden aunt
and the vicar. It's more of an internet fast food
place.  One affiliated with a certain airline, which
is probably horribly commercial and everything, but
heck, my ideals go to pot when it's raining out) and
the girl sitting through the partition from me keeps
inadvertantly kicking my leg ever so slightly and I'm
a bit worried that I might end up kicking back very
hard. So I'm sitting in a very awkward position, with
my legs as far back as they'll go.

Robin Stout mused:
"It's raining again, and the season makes me play
Scott Walker records."
In the immortal words of Damo Suzuki, oh yeah!  I had
a Scott Walker afternoon on Tuesday.  'Scott 3' is
very much an album for bleak autumn afternoons, when
it's raining out and you're in the house on your own
and the room's freezing, so you've put the fire on for
the first time this year and you're drinking lots of
tea and looking out the window at the greyness and
you're wondering just what's happened to your life.
Etcetera. 'Scott 4' is more of an autumn evening
album. I wouldn't try 'TILT' if you're at feeling at
all fragile, or of a nervous disposition, mind.

Marty GGGGG wrote of his troubles in blagging posters
in New York.  Somewhat bizzarly I once got a Tigermilk
poster free with a haircut (in Edinburgh, not New
York).  Now that can't happen often, can it?  If I
keep going back perhaps I'll end up with the entire
Belle and Sebastian merchandising range.   I might
look like Duncan Goodhew, though.  Is it worth it?
Hmm...

"Isobel is making a Gentle Waves video, and she's
going to Rome to finish it, because we can't get a
sunny day over here. However, we need a couple of
horses for her to ride."
Erk...

Was there really a kids telly programme called 'The
Red Hand Gang'?! Surely not. One can only imagine what
it was about!  Actually, I believe the red hand gang
are visiting Edinburgh this Saturday...
At the risk of continuing the ever recurring 'vintage
children's television' thread I have a Willo the Wisp
audio tape that we used to play in the car on long
journeys which I dug out at the weekend after seeing a
programme about Kenneth Williams on Saturday night.
Kenneth was ace.  So hung up about everything.

Can I nominate David White as the new Mark E. Smith
for his, uh, intelligent and well thought out post
about the Middle East? (Only kidding, David!)  I think
it might just be a very complicated business indeed
and not one for the US or the UK or NATO to jump in
feet first.  With big heavy boots on.  Not that that
usually stops them.

So's not to end a a minor note, haven't Amy Jackson's
posts since moving to Glasgow been the most excited
and exuberant (notebooks out tautology fans!) Sinister
posts in a while?  Much more entertaining than idiots
like me trying to be clever.

Well, that's another inconsequential post.  I promise
I'll keep quiet for a while now.  Really.

Ian N.