Sinister: pink pink pink moon (and crossing guards)

kerry zutroy at xxx.org
Fri Oct 13 04:30:51 BST 2000

hello hello sinister
tonight i walked my dog and the moon's just fantastic. so bright it
overpowered the streetlamps and that orangy glow from chicago. if
there are any northwestern university students on the list, i would
strongly suggest you go out onto long field tonight (over at the
corner of lincoln and sheridan road) and just stare up at the sky and
marvel at just how big it is. of course, if you don't read this until
tomorrow, you can do it tomorrow night. i think the moon will still
be full (and on a friday the 13th, to boot).
i recently spent a semi-sizeable sum of money on an mp3 player, and
it's been a godsend. for example, seeing the way the sky is on this
balmy autumn evening, i opted to listen to pink moon while i walked
my dog. then i listened to built to spill "velvet waltz". how
marvelous.
it's also been fantastic for my walk to the hospital for school in
the morning. i almost always have one of about 5 specific songs stuck
in my head during that walk, so i just put them all on the player and
choose whichever one is going through my head at the time. it's
usually "expectations." or guns 'n' roses "sweet child 'o' mine," but
that's just because that's the alarm i have on my palmpilot telling
me to take my birth control pills every morning. so it gets stuck in
my head, you see. sometimes i get "the state i am in" in my head,
because that's the one that wakes me up. so enough about all that.
i recently started the medical technology program at the hospital
near here, and walking there in the morning (and home in the
afternoon) involves crossing the street at the same place i did to go
to school in first grade. so imagine my astonishment when i
recognized the crossing guard at that corner. his name's john. he's a
big guy with a shaved head. he used to be in the navy. when i was in
elementary school he once told me he wanted to be a detective. 16
years later and he's still a crossing guard. he still gives out candy
on fridays. he's not a detective. it kind of makes me sad to think
about it, but he says he gets paid $20 an hour as a crossing guard,
and that sounds like good money to me. especially since i get paid a
measly $7 an hour to work part time at peet's coffee. speaking of
which, there must be some people on this list from around here
(evanston, IL), so if you want coffee, just come into peet's (on
chicago avenue, between davis and church. next to whole foods) on a
weekend and ask for kerry. if i'm there, tell me you're from sinister
and i'll give you free coffee. i'm not kidding. i really will. i
would wear a B&S badge upside down or something on my apron, but i
don't think i'm allowed to. besides, all of my badges seem to have
disappeared. they're probably in a box somewhere, as i've not
unpacked from the move home from school last may. that's primarily
because i still need to move out of my parents' house, so what's the
point in unpacking if i'm just going to be packing everything back up
again in a month or so? maybe even sooner. if i had time i'd be
looking for an apartment. actually, that's a lie. i have looked for
apartments, but i'm too lazy to keep looking. still, i'd like to get
out of this house, though i'd sure miss my dog once i left.
but, that's enough of that.
so what's this about someone's friend's friend moving in with beans
geddes? i'm jealous. i'd like to move in with beans. of course, i
don't live in scotland, so that might cause a problem. who knows,
after i graduate next august, maybe i will.
i got Kid A, and i'm not sure how i feel about it yet. as an album
it's excellent, as a radiohead album i'm disappointed with it. i
listened through it the first time just waiting for that patented
radiohead rock out drum 'n' guitar work, and never heard it. so
disappointed. truly, truly disappointed, if you will. apparently
they'll be releasing the follow-up next year, so that's good. they'll
be on saturday night live this weekend, i'm thinking of taping it.
well, i think i've written enough for now. maybe this was a waste of
time, maybe not. hope you enjoyed reading this as much as i enjoyed
writing it.

-kerry
--

"even though you'll never come clean, you know it's true: those
sheets are dirty, and so are you."