Sinister: nostalgia again.... there must be some chewy -not chalky- tablet I can take for that

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Fri Oct 13 12:19:11 BST 2000

marc bloomfield wrote
I don't think this is strictly true - if you're a
lucky blighter,
you'll
have Cartoon Network, and can see the magic of Cow and
Chicken, Johnny
Bravo, I Am Weasel and Dexter's Laboratory. They are
wonderful!

well, we have cable at home (ie. my folks have cable).
Power Puff Girls are the best, Cow and Chicken have a
good theme tune, but I don't particularly like it,
Dexters lab is good too.
BUT!!
Its not as good as my childhood *goes into wistful
rememberence of innocent years far behind her*
for two good good reasons.
1. They didn't repeat kids cartoon episodes every
week, there was always a new adventure (even if some
of the plots were very similar) Unlike Dexter's Lab. I
am getting sooo bored of seeing the same episodes
repeated. And I don't know how many times I have seen
Johnny Bravo with those evil dolls, or where he goes
out with the werewolf girl.
2. I was five, or four, and bright colours amazed me.
The colours, the ideas, and the idea that to pretend I
was the girl in Battle of The Planets, all I had to
do, was put on a sun visor and pull up my hood.
And run around, or perhaps get out my bike and ride
around.
Same could be acheived for Dungeons and Dragons, all I
needed was to wear my coat or jacket, and suddenly!
Ah! I was invisible! You can't see me! Ha!

Now, call me cynical and old, but it doesn't really
appeal to me, to do that sort of thing these days.

 Now with modern cartoons.
The majority of characters in modern cartoons don't
really wear an awful lot of capes or anything. There
is no gimmick. And thats why kids cartoons from the
eighties totally rule, and kids shows nowadays totally
drool.

Are you trying to tell me that Tweenies is better than
Playschool? Twice a Day?? (I used to watch both
episodes when I was a wee girl).

Exceptions to the modern day rule though include
Simpsons, cos thats class, and Toy Story2.

But still, no gimmicks.
How many kids do you see pretending to be wearing a
lab coat, a la Dexters Lab? The thing about it all was
that in the eighties, you could go out, and play
whatever you had seen on telly. Unless it was dark, or
something.
You didn't need the same plot, just the jist of it.
It had that interactive entertainment thing going on.

Pokemon comes close for interactiveness, but that
involves buying cards/games/toys.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Love,
Idleberry