Sinister: cartoon city

Katy Stevens katyms at xxx.au
Fri Oct 13 23:55:47 BST 2000

Well with all this talk about cartoons and the remembrance of, i thought
i'd pipe up for the first time ever -- gee, is everyone sick of the whole
"look at me! i'm a new poster! oh, i'm so great!" thing yet or has it
become necessary??

anyways i was sitting here reading all the stuff being thrashed about in
this cartoon thread and i began to wonder why anime was so poorly
represented amongst the mentioned series - i mean apart from Pokemon and
G-Force which don't count cause like EVERYONE on the planet talks about if
not the crazy exploits of G-Force then at least the bratty and insane ones
of POKEMON...

Is it total geek and passe of me to fervently endorse the potentially
enlightening possibilities of japanese animation, not solely of the kiddie
kind?? Stuff like Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 (obvious choices, but for a
reason...they ROCK!. Takahashi is a goddess - she's my pop culture
idol!!!!) are top-dog for all out wierdness. Kids can watch em of course
but the whole *wink wink* *nudge nudge* bawdy humour of it all is a special
treat for us big kids -- both series' are just plain WIERD and consequently
quite glorious. Ah! Megami-sama (Oh My Goddess is quite fab and fun --
comedy and romance and more wierdness); Kiki's Delivery Service is quite
cute and wonderful... These are all things which kids could get into
without feeling alienated and confused (even more that the grown ups
anyway). There are THOUSANDS of interesting titles, most of which i've only
heard about but the few dozen i've managed to see myself have been largely
impressive -- check em out at your groovy asian (or if you're lucky, your
groovy LOCAL) vid store!!

gosh there are so many fab title to mention but you're all probably bored
stiff right?? sorry, i'll try and jazz myself up for future posts.

I love PPG too!! so cute and so naughty and grrly that i could just about
burst! and Bis doing theme song = YAY!

i'm really enjoying this cartoon thread - the insight into our collective
childhood warms my dear little girl heart...

thanks kids

xkaty

*
*
"What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I
definitely overpaid for my carpet." --Woody Allen