Sinister: And Ezra Pound And T. S. Eliot, Fighting In the Captain's Tower

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Oct 15 17:56:04 BST 2000

Hi All,

IT'S A COOL, COOL, CHRISTMAS
The Oct 12th edition of Marketing Week contains an article about a Christmas
album (title as above) put out by Xfm to raise money for The Big Issue
Foundation, stating that Belle and Sebastian have recorded a track for it.
So apparently have Teenage Fanclub, Grandaddy & The Dandy Warhols.

On sale 20th November for £10.99, of which £4 goes to the charity.

Anyone want to divulge which song they recorded?

OUR MAN IN THE MOSHPIT (1) ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL
Busy week for gigs. Followed V-Twin with the Incredible String Band &
Delgados. The former weren't as appalling as I dreaded: although 30+ years
have deepened the voices & cropped the range they still managed to move me
when they sang numbers such as Air, old Sinister mix-tape favourite Ducks On
A Pond, Painting Box, etc.

The 36-legged Delgados were excellent, ending with a storming version of No
Danger which even drew some audience members from their seats to dance!

OUR MAN IN THE ... (2) SCALAGAIN
Took Liz' advice & went to see Broadcast. The 60's theme continued (Delgados
took the stage to a Bert Jansch song, Broadcast to Pentangle's Light
Flight). Mostly I always just listened to the singer's voice & what the
keyboard player did before, but on this occasion I was especially struck by
the tricky time signature power trio that constitutes the rest of the band.
The drummer is great, not just the way his gold tooth glints in the light of
the films projected on the backdrop, but because he puts his entire soul
into what he does. Even Trish just stood at the end of the gig grinning with
pleasure watching him.

Drums On Fire indeed.

OUR MAN ... (3) GARAGE
Where we met "Sinister's most beautiful couple" (Ailsa, if my memory serves
me well) Arantxa & Robin.

Hmm. If Whistler are getting so many gigs, couldn't that girl afford another
dress? Another great gig from Cinerama, even though Leeds' answer to Bruce
Springsteen was more RAWK! than I had ever seen him before, encouraging the
sad sight of a 30 year-old moshpit.

NOT DRAGGING UP KIDS TV ON THE LIST AGAIN, BUT...
Erica can't be a stupid bint, because she's actually Lady Penelope.

GET YOUR YA YA'S OUT
Which one of The Pine Fox's Stones posts didn't get replied to, The
Alternative ATP one, or the Stevie Reverb as Brian Jones one about the
Millennium Tube appearance? I'll discuss 5 string guitars with funny tunings
with you anyday.

LITERARY LIST
I haven't seen any recommendations for Laura Vview's site for a while, so
why not try this ripping yarn which I heartily recommend to all Sinisterines
(or at least 80% of those posting recently)

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/faq.html#rules

Judy is a Calientapollas,

Love,

David Moore
Page 3 of November's "Aircraft Illustrated"