Sinister: Rejoice! Rejoice!

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 17 12:34:58 BST 2000

Oh, bless them! 'O Come O Come Emmanuel' was always my favourite advent hymn.
It's been years since I've been at a pre-Christmas church service to hear it.

Reminding myself of the words on the web, I discovered that the translation I
always sang ('[...] Redeem thy captive Israel') is less widely used than one
that goes 'And ransom captive Israel.'  There's lots on the web about the O
Antiphones and related issues.  See
http://www.stpetersnottingham.org/hymns/emmanuel.htm for example.

Low's 'Just like Christmas' is lovely too.  Good old Beepster.

N. xx