Sinister: Lawrence's first post in absolutely ages.

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Wed Oct 18 08:51:37 BST 2000

remember me? I used to have a big rant every week or so, but have been in
hiding for the last month or so. No reason really, except that I have
written a few big posts and then deleted them, thinking they were bollocks.

Still ... here I am, back at the ol' keyboard.

Righto ....

***BELLE AND SEBASTIAN CHRISTMAS CAROL SHOCK***
Very interesting, although a little annoying. I hate buying albums for only
one track. Abmitedly, the listing for this album looks really good, but
nonetheless, it's the Belle & Sebastian track I *need*. Shame they weren't
releasing a single instead. (sigh)

And whilst on the subject of Belle and Sebastian and Jeepster, why don't i
get new Jeepster newsletters anymore? Why, Mister Kitchen, why? I used to
love getting all the new Belle & Sebastian gossip before it hit the pages of
the NME. But in the last few weeks there has been the anouncement of this
Christmas album, and also the new Gentle Waves album and EP, and from
Jeepster I have not heard squat. What on earth is going on? Jeepster, I
thought you owned my soul?

Someone mentioned Orlando being signed to Jeepster, and was slagging
Jeepster off. I have a couple of Orlando EPs, and I'm sure they're *not* on
Jeepster. Nonetheless,  quite liked Orlando actually ....

***CROATIAN WEDDINGS***
Been to a few over the last few weeks. (My beloved fiance is Croatian)
They're scary, and I can undertand Isobel when she sings "and a family like
the Mafia". Everyone at them wears lots of gold and kisses each other on
both cheeks. I dread getting married, because I know that it'll end up as
'traditional Croatian wedding" with about 200 people I don't know, and my
half-dozen or so friends. Still, if "My Wandrering Days Are Over" isn't
played as we leave the church I won't go! It's my one 'non-negotiable'.

***NEW ZEALAND MUSIC***
For anyone who cares, I am seeing The Clean play tomorrow night! one of the
worlds greatest and most influential indie bads, Woo-hoo. No offece to any
Pavement fans, but I am sure there would be no Pavement were it not for The
Clean. I am very excited .....

***THE GO-BETWEENS***
Very little mention has been made of the new Go-Betweens album, "The Friends
of Rachel Worth", which is a shame, because it's a damn fine album.
(Possibly eclipsed by "Kid A"  in terms of discussability on this list, I
guess.) Anyway, go out and buy it - you won't be disappointed.

Speaking of disappointed ....

***HEFNER'S "WE LOVE THE CITY"***
Hefner need your help. As some of you may know, there are *two* Hefners, the
great indie stalwart we all know and love, on Too Pure, and also Hefner the
solo artist, whose records apparently suck, so I am told. Anyway, on the
www.amazon.co.uk "We Love The City" has had some really bad reviews from
people who bought it thinking it was a new album by dull dance Hefner. So
anyone who feels the urge, go to the www.amazon.co.uk site and write a
glowing review of the album. At the moment there is only one "good" review
and two bad ones saying "this Hefner sucks, buy records by the other one",
giving it an average customer rating of only two stars.

so ...

CUBS - DO YOUR BEST.

I'm sure Darren and chums will be very proud of you. hell, I've just
submitted a review, and I haven't even heard the album yet. Hooray.

***SODASTREAM***
Bloody hell they're good. I finally got a copy of the "Enjoy EP" and it's
genius. Everyone, go out and buy 'Looks Like a Russian". (You can get it on
the same trip you buy "We Love The City" and "The Friends of Rachel Worth",
for a fantastical weekend pop bonanza)

***SPRING***
All these people whining about Autumn. You shold come and live in the
Southern hemisphere. The weather here in Auckland is GRAND right now. mmmm
... long evenings.

Anyway, off to bed. Take care kids, and make Hefner proud, OK?

Lawrence Mikkelsen