Sinister: family twee

Ewan Dunbar dunbare at xxx.net
Thu Oct 19 03:48:49 BST 2000

I apologize for the subject line, but it was a little relevant: I was
going to say, since keith m was wondering What if Stuart M had written
Family Tree, what if it was, really?

here it gets a bit pedantic I think... anyhoo...

I posted once before saying something to that effect, I think what I
said was that I'd read in an interview that that's what was so...
actually what I read was in that MTV chat they did a while back, saying
that each of Isobel, Sarah, and Stevie had written one song for
fishyclap, and the only crossovers with people singing other people's
songs were Isobel and Stevie collaborating on Beyond the Sunrise and
Isobel "singing one of stuart's songs". I assumed this meant, since
Stevie wrote The Wrong Girl and Sarah wrote Waiting For The Moon To
Rise, that "singing one of stuart's songs" meant singing the whole
thing, not just the bit of women's realm she sang. if so, that means
that the "collaborating" on beyond the sunrise referred just to the
singing and Stuart wrote Family Tree. I always figured this
interpretation was right...

until I realized that the collaborating probably meant they wrote it
together, thus making the "singing one of stuart's songs" a reference to
Women's Realm.

the reason I figured the other way was that when I first listened to
women's realm, I thought, "that's odd... this is isobel singing, but it
doesn't sound like an isobel song. course, it doesn't really sound like
a stuart song either, but Nice Day For A Sulk and The Chalet Lines were
kind of weak too, so maybe it's a kinda weak stuart song."
see, I figured it just didn't sound like an Isobel song; I like isobel
and all... but her songs tend to sound sorta the same; I think she tries
too hard. but I shouldn't talk, I can't write songs worth a chickfactor.

so in conclusion, I provide no insight into the question of who wrote
that song, except for that little spiel.

but I do wish to say that that day everyone was saying how pretty the
moon looked? I saw it too! which I think is neat, coz I didn't know
these things were quite that universal. I guess it makes sense
considering... considering I dunno what. considering the way these
things work. I guess...

I picked up a copy of modest mouse's first album; it ain't tigermilk,
but it's durn decent. kinda boring musically, but there are some some
standout tracks, and it is, as I say, durn decent.

anyway, kind of an awkward way to finish off maybe, but that's all I'll
say...