Sinister: hobnobingwith. . . . PAVEMENT!!

Phillip Runion prbar at xxx.com
Sat Oct 21 23:56:08 BST 2000

good morning/good afternoon/good evening sinister folks,
last night i went to a benefit for townes van zandt simply because Stuart
Braithwaite and David Gow were going to do a solo set. after i had downed
five glasses of the FREE BEER, the two took the stage and Stuart sung almost
all of the Mogwai songs that have words, and generally plucked strings, with
the exception of the last song, which was a cover, that he totally jammed
out on in true mogwai fashion. I was pleased by the alone. It had already
been a good night. Then Bob Nastanovich walks right past me and my buddy.
Please do not take this lightly: if any body is The Fucking Man, it is Bob
Nastanovich. Anyway, i had no idea that stars of this caliber were going to
be there, but luckily, i had Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and Westing by
Musket and Sextant with me. We waited till Bob had received his beer, and
then asked him if we might have his autograph. There has never been anybody
more enthusiastic about signing an autograph. He also talked to us for quite
a bit, us having common ground and all, that is all parties grew up in good
old Rochester, New York. I actually went to high school with his next door
neighbor. After all that, he gave myself and my friend huge bear hugs, and
told us that Steven should be around somewhere too. *Holy Shit* However,
before we met up with Steven, we ran into Mark Ibold. Conversation was as
follows: "Hello Mark, it's a pleasure to meet you" we shake hands "We were
wondering if you wouldn't mind signing a few autograph's" "no, no not at
all" we hand him the album sleeves "How did you know we would be here?"
"Didn't, i carry these around with me where ever i go, they're like my
bible." "yeah" indicates CRCR "this is our best album, i think, but my
personal favorite is Wowee Zowee"
                            "my favorite is Wowee Zowee"
He was super cool too. But alas, the lead singer was standing against a wall
off to the side. It turns out Steven is a bit of an asshole, but that is to
be expected, as lead singers usually are. He signed too, though. 3 out of
five. Not bad. Meanwhile, my head was spinning, and then evan dando steps on
to the stage and played about five covers. One of my best friends is
completely enamored by him. So on a piece of writing paper, i asked him to,
and he wrote out in huge, nearly illegible handwriting: Dear Susan, I love
you, Evan Dando. Apparently he's a lawyer now. Heroin Addict Rock Star cum
defense attorney. anything's possible. Then ben lee played, got off the
stage and totally disrespected his girlfriend, claire danes. Where ever they
went he was four steps in front of her and completely ignoring her. my
friend and i called him a phony, dingo fucker, then we left as the show was
over as well. It was a most Excellent evening.

      yours,
          phil r

ps Everyone should go out and buy the new Godspeed You Black Emporer Album,
as it is not only good, but one of the best records i've ever heard.