Sinister: Rain and Sundays

gogron gogron at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 22 20:04:01 BST 2000

    I'm wondering if rain is the characteristic weather condition for
sinister. Certainly, it's often mentioned, and seems to be regarded in
these parts as something sensual, rather than an incontinent cloud-load
of small and inconvenient bits of water to moan about. I'm sure there
are thousands of songs featuring rain, but all I can think of off-hand
is The Silencers with *Scottish Rain* and *London Rain* by Heather Nova.
And, of course, *Rain and Tears* by Aphrodite's Child, featuring that
Barry White of the Agean, Demis Roussos.
    This being a Sunday, I'm listening to the Sundays' album I bought on
Saturday. Evidently David and Harriet first got together on a Friday.
Anyway, the album is *Static and Silence*, released in 1997. Back then,
I recall 'phoning up for tickets to see them at Islington's Union
Chapel, but then they cancelled. Then zilch. I've looked them up on the
web, but all I can find is a promo site for that album, and a date for
the concert that never was. The sinister archives contain references to
people lucky enough to have actually seen them live, but years ago. Does
anyone know what happened to them?

    It isn't raining here. It's getting dusky, but the afternoon has
been heavy with grey; a kind of torpor in the atmosphere. I've been
struggling with a short story I'm trying to write, finding words like
'effulgence' and 'tenebrous' in the dictionary in lieu of a continuation
of the plot, which started with a story but has descended into the
recall of nightmares and a slough of speculative metaphysics.
    Still, Harriet's lovely voice is soothing, and it's time to pull the
curtains and light the church candles, which always feature in my autumn
season. Which is about it. That and the day job, which is currently a
pleasure: slightly creative, technically achievable, friendly
colleagues... I wish I could identify what always seems to be missing.

    Gordon

    "This world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those
who feel" - Horace Walpole

P.S. An especial SQUAWK! to Christiaan for his brilliant post recently.