Sinister: Sunny Day with a historical face

Jeff Burke shiplore at xxx.com
Mon Oct 23 16:41:06 BST 2000

Hello.

I'll start by announcing that this has no B&S content. that's alright tho'
cause all of you U.K.-ers (not UKERS that sounds gross) get all the good
gossip, so really all us yanks have to offer are anectdotes, anyways I'm
going to tell you all about a show I saw last wednesday evening in
Providence Rhode Island. Providence is about an hour south of Boston (which
is home...)

OKay I went to go see a band called Sunny Day Real Estate. Now if you're in
the 23+ yearold range  (yes, I'm a fogey but I haven't grown up yet...there
too much living to do to grow up but I digress...)
then SDRE could be a very meaningful album for you. In 1994 they put out a
album called "Diary" it was one of the most powerful records you'll every
hear. Emotional, angst-ridden but not in a "pearljam" was rather in a
socially anomic sense. It's really a moving beautiful record. It also
created a genre called Emo-core, or now just Emo. Cause it was musically
based on hardcore (which i don't really hear...but..) and it's lyrical
content was emotional geddit>? Emo-core. Anyways SDRE started it and in my
opinion perfected it.

This album Diary means alot to me. I was listening to it in my dorm room
when I found out on my friends was found dead of Spinal meningitis.  Track
#4 "round" ..so an emotionall charged album became that much more for me.. a
year or so later they came around and my best friend Luke and I were going
to go see them but being at college (University for you UK-ers)and having a
final exam the next day we blew it off. then the band broke up.

I'd never see them play. Never hear those songs that meant so much to me
live. it was very depressing.

then they got back together but the lead singer had found god and was born
again. He put out a solo album that was pretty tough on the ears. the edge
was apparently gone. that raw nerve was covered over by faith.
they put out two more albums that were good but nothing like "Diary" and I
wasn't motivated to go see them again because I "knew" that they wouldn't
play anything from "Diary" they weren't the same people nor in the same
place.

Wednesday night my friend JP called and said we're going to Providence to
see SDRE we'll pick you up in  hour. I said sure and went along. He'd seen
them since they've gotten back together. I asked if there was any chance
they'd play anything off diary and he said the two times he's seen them
they've only played one song "in circles" each time.

I wasn't expecting anything..
I was so wrong.

they opened with "Pheurton Skeurto" a cool song with a waltz-time piano line
  It almost saddened me cause I figured that was the one "old song" i'd get
and it wasn't "48" my favorite.

they they played a newer song then he said
"this is the first song I've ever written for sunny day and it's out
quintessntial song, it's called 48" I admit I nearly cried.

it was powerful, and the bad was so good the emotion was all still there.
they seemed to really like the old songs...

anyways I've rambled on. they played 6 of 11 songs off of Diary and it was
the greatest thing ever.. the whole ride home I kept repeating "i never
thought I'd hear those songs"

I apologize for taking up space and mythologizing SDRE but sometimes a band
does that to people and it's wonderful

cheers
have a nice day
jef.