Sinister: I LOVE 80'S GAINSBOURG

Simiansurvival at xxx.com Simiansurvival at xxx.com
Thu Oct 26 07:30:39 BST 2000

hi everyone

god, life has been way too busy lately. between school and work, bah. i had a
week off from uni last week, and i got sick during it. bah. i did, however,
finally get my braces off (hooray!)

i've been getting bored during random parts of each day, and when it happens
i've been taking out a pint sized notebook and a pen (regular sized) and i've
been trying to figure out what my 20 favorite records of the year are so far.
i tried to list ten but i went insane trying to do that. i buy so many
records, it's sick...they're like food now, i just consume music so quickly.
one of my goals before the end of the year is to finally finish my damn
webpage, so i'm going to decide what m favorite things were this year -
albums/ep's, singles/random songs, haircuts, and just random occurances. i'm
also going to try and finish making my damn music. it would be a lot easier
if my keyboard and drum machione weren't still home in NJ. oh well.

anyway, i'm sure a bunch of you are already listening to some of this, but
it's always good not go give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to
good music, because a new discovery is like a new friend, or a new twisted
obsession if one gets lucky enough.

listen to these records:

1. Dymaxion "Dymaxion x 4 + 3 = 39:21" - as far as i know, this is really
hard to find in america - it's on trattoria in japan, but the band is fom
NYC. crazy stuff...the only band i've ever heard that i could compare it to
is Silver Apples, but this has more of a loose, NYC groove to it. it
shouldn't work, but it does.
2. Badly Drawn Boy "Hour of Bewilderbeast" i think he deserved the Mercury
Prize for this - it's a beautiful record. lots of songs, but it just means
more to consume and love, because you'll become infatuated w/ it.
3. High Llamas "Buzzle Bee" yeah i know it doesnt come out until halloween,
but vintage vinyl here in STL has a promo copy that they let me listen to.
they get more and more psychedelic and swirly... brazilian influences too,
not just the obvious pet sounds/smile & beatles references.
4. kid koala "carpal tunnel syndrome" one of the coolest, funniest, and
creative records i've heard in a while. he's got a great sense of humor, and
the groove is nice as well.
5. blur "music is my radar" single - i love the B-side, black book. nice
soulful stuff. the title track is kind of silly though... it's quite cool of
them to sneak a bit of a latin style in there though.

BELLE AND SEBASTIAN CONTENT:
a jeepster christmas album! that should be fun. more songs to add to my
ultimate christmas mix tape, i hope. i wish B&S would have covered "Christmas
in Hollis" though. it's the all-time greatest christmas song.

i'm going to go listen to 80's gainsbourg now, because it's so ridiculously
great.

talk to everyone soon.
mike j

PS -  i don't know if there are any fans of Cornelius out there, but he got
married to Takako Minekawa a few months ago. i thought that was really cool.
ciao everybody