Sinister: "all is quite over One Tree Hill"

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Thu Oct 26 09:50:40 BST 2000

irrelevant post with even less B&S content than usual.

One Tree Hill is no more.

Fans of U2, or ex-fans who were well into "The Joshua Treee" as a teenager
will be shocked/sad/amused/interested to know that Auckland's "One Tree
Hill" is no more. The 125 year-old tree, one of auckland's most recognisable
landmarks, was cut down and airlifted away by helicopter today as it had
become dangerous in its old age.

Everyone here is very sad. yes, I know, I know, it was just a tree.

Oh, and for the thousand or so of you who have *no* idea what 'm talking
about, in Auckland there is this small mountain/big hill, called "One treee
Hill". At it's summit is an obilisk monument and one giant pine tree. It's
pretty much visible from all over auckland, and is very striking and
beautiful. But a few years ago some Maori (ie. indigeous New Zealanders)
attacked it with a chainsaw on a couple of occasions, as they saw the tree
as "a symbol of colonial oppression", and it started to die, hence todays
activity. And the U2 connection - the song was written for, and dedicated
to, a long time roadie of the band, who was a New Zealander, and who died in
a moter accident.

Quite why I posted this I don't know .......

Anyway, take care everyone.

Lawrence Mikkelsen