Sinister: the south..houstonian help.

Graham LeBron schrasj at xxx.com
Thu Oct 26 21:11:53 BST 2000

hi there eric and anyone else in TX,

you were asking about houston
I moved from houston to oakland about 2 years ago.
it is a fun place, but you do have to look a bit.
i think I remember a scottish girl posting saying she was living in houston
now as well. i wish there had been more b&s fans when I was living there.
but there are some still. just hiding.

first off, you should go to notsuoh. its one of my favorite places.
its downtown at main and preston, its sort of a coffee shop weird hang out
place. be careful though, becuz it is right near a lot of the awful yuppie
bars that have cropped up around there.
if you go and you happen to meet the owner, jim, tell him that I sent you,
cuz he is a friend of mine.

also, brasil is another pretty good spot for food and coffee and drinks,
it is on westheimer and woodhead I think?

there is a dance club on 802 fannin that is pretty cool, they play pop, and
80's/90's alternative, not super techno, the best you're gonna get for a
houston club I think.

also, rudyards on waugh is the place where most of the indie type bands
play. its good.

as for bands, I like port vale quite a lot. try to catch them.
and sad like crazy too.

I run a label with some folks who still live in houston.
here is the website if you're interested. there are some links and stuff.

http://www.ojet.com/

lessee, what else? oh yeah, pick up the houston's other, the local
alternarag, that has good stuff in it sometimes.

there is also a website about local music, its kinda weird, but has some
good info, maybe outdated, i don't know.

http://www.spacecityrock.com/

the thing to remember is that most of houston is about punk and metal.
there is pop, but its usually pretty hard stuff.

thats proly part of the reason I left, becuz I did not enjoy being booed and
threatened for not bursting peoples eardrums on stage.

but any town is what you make it, its all about the people anyway.
there are lots of cool kids there, just very spread out, but when a good
band comes to town, the kids come out in droves and you wonder where they
are the rest of the time.

cheers,

g r a m