Sinister: Glasgow School of Art and Jimmy Corrigan, Smartest Kid on Earth

kittenmouse radio kittenmouse at xxx.com
Fri Oct 27 05:51:54 BST 2000

Hi there,
I just got home from my midterm exam in Medieval Women in the Visual Arts
course.  It was pretty hard.
In my modern art history class though, we were talking about Art Nouveau,
and my teacher brought up the Glasgow School of Art, which was designed by
Macintosh, I think (who was from Scotland).  She also said he designed a
bunch of Miss Cranston's Tea Rooms around Glasgow during an turn of the
century temperance movement.  All very interesting architecture and interior
design.
What I was wondering is this: is there any connection between Belle and
Sebastian and the Glasgow School of Art?  Did any of them go there or did
they ever play a show there?
To anyone who lives in or has visited Glasgow:  Have you visited or toured
the School of Art or been to any of the tea rooms?  Just curious to know
what your impressions because they seem very interesting.
Also, I've read some of the Jimmy Corrigan comics and I agree...they are
pretty sad.  Especially the one where he goes with his dad to the world's
fair and his dad leaves him there.  I should get that book next, since I've
only read the comic in the newspaper.
Your pal,
Andrea