Sinister: the eve of all saints approaching

gogron gogron at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 29 15:44:18 GMT 2000

Alequo te volo petere...

aye, it's chilly out

    Us Brits are always supposed to be talking about the weather, so
here goes. Today is alternating between beautiful and ugly. For moments,
the sun strikes swathes of golden leaves at a low angle, shimering in
gale-force winds against a gunmetal sky. Then, rooms, car interiors,
gardens, hilltops are cast into gloom, and a light spray of rain becomes
cold like needles.
    The remaining apples were blown to the ground last night.

boo!

    The church hijacked Halloween, like Christmas, from an old pagan
festival. Like Christmas, it seems the people are beginning to claim it
back, or, is it Hollywood and Department Stores? Anyway, in the Celtic
calendar, the last night of October is 'Old Year's Night'.

third sujbect

    Sometimes there is not much to say, so why say it? I scan books on
shelves to give me inspiration but to what end? I'm too confused to
leaven things with humour; too distracted to follow a single theme. Like
the middle class wet liberal pseudo yuppie that I am I don't know the
line between explanation and apology, and salve myself in the soothing
tones of religious music praising a God that I have long since bracketed
within 'speculations'. The fact is, the conundrum is easily explained if
one considers that emotional need and rational justification are
entirely different but, when writing, the means can project the former
in the shallowest guise of the latter, until one gives up that ghost and
simply declaims that, for these moments, rationality has to be suspended
to allow the emotion to grow, unfettered by understanding.

incompatible

   Two people meet, say. One has just been reading a biography of a wild
decadent like Rimbaud, and the other has been reading a biography of an
Olympic Athlete. No matter what they share in common, at that moment of
meeting, they will be under the influence of incompatible forces.

party

    Laura Lew's Lovely Lists

    addendum: if someone asks who you're dressed up as, say you're
dressed up as them. If they complain that you're not dressed like they
are, or you're not the same age sex etc., just reply that they're not
generally dressed like static cling/a mormon etc. and that you're living
the role and providing them with the opportunity for them to see the
real them. At least you'll have started a conversation: make sure you
approach someone you fancy, who isn't scared of weirdos...

    Gordon

"Talking dirty, for a hobby it's fine
So pour another glass of wine"
I'm not thinking of England, but I keep thinking I done wrong again...