Sinister: Lloyd Cole

Knightowl knightowl at xxx.net
Fri Sep 1 21:20:08 BST 2000

> Lloyd Cole only seemed to want to show off. My
> mate's brother threw a shoe at Lloyd Cole for "being boring" in concert

I'd have to concur with this. While I never threw a shoe at him, I did find
him boring to talk to as well.

When he showcased Rattlesnakes for North America, he came out and played the
album verbatim from beginning to end. Nothing added, but nothing taken away
either I suppose. For an "encore" all they could manage was a repeat of the
lead off single which was "Perfect Skin" if memory serves. That certainly
didn't win them any votes of confidence and I was hardly surprised when his
follow ups to Rattlesnakes - which is a good album - were not very inspired
or interesting either.

I tend to lump Lloyd Cole in with people like Matthew Sweet. lots of hype,
lots of promise, and then they never quite delivered on any of it.

When I first heard of B&S I thought it sounded like too much hype too.
Fortunately, in their case, they lived up to the expectation - and then
some.

I am however, finding the new album wearing thin rather quickly. Its nice,
but just not quite up to the lofty standard they have perhaps set already.
Years from now, I doubt I'll play it much at all.
I think its probably best they are taking a break - if they are in fact
doing so as rumoured and reported.

Ed

 ++++++  August 27th Sinister Third Birthday Red Underwear Day   ++++++