Sinister: You said you'd be here at 8, now you're 17 days late

garymaher at xxx.com garymaher at xxx.com
Sun Sep 3 05:59:25 BST 2000

My mind is wandering through the digest tonight --

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 05:51:30 +0100 (GMT/BST)
owner-sinister-digest at missprint.org (sinister-digest) writes:
> I am away for the first several days of September. Messages will
> receive a prompt reply on my return mid-month.

I wish I was away . . .

> Sono fuori di se dalla vacanza ma a te questa non ne frega niente.
> Messagi sarano ben ignorati, dopo torno mezza Settiembre.

I wish I could speak Italian . . .

> Ana uhtajowl bidoon milabis, safun wa shitaun, maa al-shabab
> al-Kuwaiti, wa hassatan fil sahrah.

Same to you, buddy!

> Nihongo de hanashimasen. Totemo muzukashi desu, zenzen
> benkyoshimasendeshita. Onegaishimasu.

Now look -- you made me blush!

Moving on . . .

> September again
> You come so quick

Never was a truer word spoken.  I thought it was my calendar missing a
few days (weeks?).  I did not even manage to spend the summer wasting,
yet I find the summer is indeed wasted.  Work, work, work, such is the
life of a legal man.  Did manage to ease my feet in the sea, but if the
summer boils down to 5 days down the shore, wasted is the word for it.
<sigh>  Bummer in the Summer.

> i am going through an aimee mann period at the minute. she is never
> mentioned here. are there any other fans?

Sure.  She's cool!  Anyone who starts off an album with the lyric "You
fucked it up" and then proceeds to nick the riff from "Up the Junction"
for the guitar solo in the same song (probably with Tifford and Dilbrook
watching in the studio) is tops in my book!  The new one is killer too.
Just lovely . . .

> and for that matter, elliott smith?

I can't get enough of XO.  The same person who turned me on to B&S also
recommended Elliott Smith, and I bought XO and Sinister the same day.  I
can't remember the last time I so loved two records from the instant I
first heard them.

Someday I will tell the story of how I received promotional literature
about B&S in the mail many years ago (when Sinister originally came out)
and thought it would be something I liked.  Sadly, I didn't go looking
for it at the time.  So I didn't happen to hear them until my friend
David, who sings for a band in Los Angeles, suggested them.  (He
especially likes Fox in the Snow.)  I loved the record, and B&S played in
NYC about a month later, but both shows were sold out by the time I found
out about them.  And I almost went to Philadelphia to see them, but that
show was canceled anyway because someone (Sarah?) was sick.  So I'm still
waiting.  Anyway, someday I'll tell that story.

> i'm just a sucker for melodic, alt. pop. sad, really.
This is not sad!  It's happy!  This is where most of the good stuff is
coming out nowadays.  This is the genre for those who think all new music
sucks!  This is our hope for the future of music!  (Well, it's nice to
listen to, anyway.)

Try this:  www.straightdope.com

> I tend to lump Lloyd Cole in with people like Matthew Sweet. lots of
hype,
> lots of promise, and then they never quite delivered on any of it.

Oh, Girlfriend is a killer record!!!  But spotty since, eh?

> The New York City Sinister Picnic 2000 will be held in Central Park,
> Saturday, September 9th, from 2 pm until we get bored of each other.

Please watch out for bands of marauding ethnic molesters.  (Have to add
that one to the band names list -- The Ethnic Molesters).

> Is it selfish to post silly things on Sinister just to make yourself
feel
> better for the night?  I think it is but sorry it's too late now..

I hope not!!  (See above summer discussion.)

I have gone on far too long!  Have a cheery weekend all!

 ++++++  August 27th Sinister Third Birthday Red Underwear Day   ++++++