Sinister: into open spaces

Kendra M Speirs speirs at xxx.edu
Mon Sep 4 17:34:10 BST 2000

hello all. i'm a new one to this sinister list .. and a bit shy knowing
that i know no one and yet am about to fling this little message into the
great circuits and satellite connections that form the internet and into
the inboxes of hundreds of computers all over the world. and you all,
poets and dreamers and students and buisness types, will see it there and
read it or glance at it or pass it over completely  ... and the only thing
i really know we have in common (as of yet) is a love for belle and
sebastian.
but that says something, doesn't it? a love for belle and sebastian.

i'm currently working in philadelphia, in a little laboratory, under the
gentle hums of exposed pipes and clicks and buzzes of great machines,
performing reactions for us like they were taught to do. i'm a scientist
here, trying desperately to get some sort of degree ... so i can
be unleashed and set free to do field research in Africa or South America.
collecting samples and fighting off snakes. bench work is not so much my
cup of tea ... but it's a means to an end

... i say that like a mantra.

and philadelphia is a secret ... a small city that only residents know is
wonderful. and that keeps it modest. and the rent low. so i love it here,
even when it's blazing outside and the mosquitoes are on a feeding frenzy.
i sit on the windowsill with a cheap gin and gaze out at fitler square,
attempting to read some unintelligeable nature article with a thousand
formidable words, then drop everything and go off dancing for a bit. or
off to a pub for a lager.

it's a good life, for now. but every now and then i have need-to-travel
seizures and an intense desire for adventure and change. youth is
fleeting for all of us ..  a concept that frightens me into action.

all for now. i am looking forward to my next installment of the digest ...
knowing you better ... and maybe one day putting some faces to typescript
names.
kendra

 ++++++  August 27th Sinister Third Birthday Red Underwear Day   ++++++