Sinister: You have reached the winter of my discontent

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Tue Sep 5 03:23:45 BST 2000

"It's Saturday night and I ain't got nobody. I got some money cuz I just got
paid."

I believe that I spent the last half of my teen years trying to find the guy
who sings this song.  Lots of money to burn and no one to spend it on. I AM
the perfect girl for that guy! However, I've learned guys like that and
those who say "don't be stupid, you're looking great" only exist in songs.
Oh well. It's a Monday night anyway. Today was Labor Day and so to make
absolutely no sense at all - it was a federal holiday which means no school
or work. Of course, some of us celebrated Labor Day in the proper way and
actually labored. Now, I'm all partied out.

Actually, I'm home all alone and bored. I grew up on sitcoms so I know
better than to tell 1300 people that. I remember an episode of Webster when
he was going to be home by himself that night so he bragged about it at
school. Only to have some hard kids that night come and try to break in to
scare him. The poor little midgi-man had to hide in the clock just to stay
safe!  I also learned from Punky Brewster never to climb into a fridgerator
even if it's not plugged in.  That show confused me after it went to a
cartoon. I never did figure out the purpose of the furry creature. And
exactly what was I giving to get more for my punky?

Other points to ponder in life is how can Uncut have a cd featuring the
newest coolest music and have Nick Drake on it?  I mean he's great - but
he's definitely not going to be producing anything that's defined as "the
newest". While musing over this point, I realized that there in the same
issue there was an article about John Cusack. Even though I haven't seen the
Dick Flick that is "High Fidelity", I'm still a big Cusack fan (Rather* a
big Better Off Dead fan but close enough). The article pretty much sucks, as
it is poorly written. However, dead in the middle of it is this:

"Even the most sceptical** Hornby devotees can rest assured that 'High
Fidelity' is as Anglophile and musically anal as its source novel. Just five
minutes in, a Belle & Sebastian record is smashed because it "sucks ass".
Stereolab, The Clash, Massive Attack, The UK Subs and many more unlikely
exports figure in the action. As indeed do lo-fi luminaries The Beta Band,
who Cusack originally invited to score the film.
'We tried to but we couldn't seem to get it done," he shrugs. 'We never got
around to recording anything.'
Does Cusack really think that Belle & Sebastian sucks ass?
'Well, it all depends on your state of mind. I don't know enough Belle &
Sebastian. But that scene after the break-up in the store, we wanted
something kind of wimpy and soft and melancholy. I think it's really funny.'
Sitting on the fence here, aren't you John?
'Totally sitting on the fence!" he grins. 'Ha, ha!"

I had to laugh at myself at this article because one of the paragraphs
starts out with "Like Tim Robbins, Cusack is often highly vocal about
politics." I was wondering why in the world they would just pop Tim Robbins
name out of no where. I mean, hello, there are a lot of people that are
vocal about politics. I mean if it was another actor that they were talking
about then fine (still a stretch tho) but just to say an author's name..
Then, I realized they were talking about another actor. A little bit daft I
am and I'm even a big 'Huddsucker Proxy' fan.

In Hendersonville, NC there is a sign by the side of the road on Tracy Grove
Rd that says "Honey for sell." Is there something the list mummy would like
to tell us?

*raises an eyebrow*

Laura
"meeting all of your Laura Llew needs since 1977"

* I'm more like Magda Boom already!
** they're spelling choice - not mine.
*** Spell check wanted to change Hornby to Horny and Magda to Magma. Maybe
it knows more than I give it credit for.

PS- I keep wandering into #sinister in hopes of seeing Ree, Will P., Noah,
or Honey but never to any avail. Are y'all still alive?
Hello... hello... is this thing on?
PPS- a big shout out to Sinister's darling, my personal muse, and the
co-leader of the wearing rubberbands around your wrist is trendy trend,
Miss. Scarlett. She was the first person to respond to my first ever
sinister post. It was over a year ago and  about "Pretty In Pink" trivia.
I've been having a bad case of the Molly Ringwalds lately. Heaven help me
before I start trying to make a dress.
PPPS- Happy Happy Birthday to Jimmy G. who isn't on Sinister anymore but
deserves birthday shoutz out anyway because he's da man.
PPPPS- Props out to Mr. Random who makes super cool packages & great
tinderstick mixes. You so made my day. For you, "Happier days are definitely
ahead for you, struggle has ended." lucky numbers -16, 17, 20, 23, 26, 38
PPPPPS- Many thanks to Jan Imgrund who is a lovely website hostess as always
for the literary page. Doesn't he look darling in that lil' outfit?

 ++++++  August 27th Sinister Third Birthday Red Underwear Day   ++++++