Sinister: I haven't got a scoobie

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Wed Sep 6 22:05:25 BST 2000

WATCH OUT, THIS IS A LONG ONE

johnnyfive asked:
> pps: where is honey?
fiona said:
> in the absence of honey

Aw I'm sorry, I'm still here.  I've been here all the time, hiding
under the sinister stairs and watching attractive sinister ankles go by
and whispering "shh!" to the little sinister doggy that's down here
with me.  And occasionally peeking out and helping someone subscribe,
or unsubscribe, or having a quiet word.  I've also been in #sinister
the chat room, along with my friend Aunt Sadie.  "auntsadie, tartometer
damon".  If you haven't all met her, you must.

I'm way behind on a lot of things, and have a fistful of photos to put
up in the Sinister galleries - sorry it's taking so long, it's me
knees, it's me knees.  Including a photo of a 7" vibrating thing that
scares me and I don't know where to put (sic).  I mean is it a "thing",
or a "bodypart"?  A person?  A miniperson?  They can make very good
friends you know.

MISSPRINT.ORG

I've also done a little souping up of missprint.org, the source from
which we all flow, so if you know anyone who might want to move a
mailing list to somewhere with sexy attentive and "skilled" support
staff that doesn't add snivelling adverts to each message, ask them to
have a word with Miss Print.  In fact send them to
http://www.missprint.org/getalist/ - it'll help Sinister along on its
way and Miss Print will be enorusly grateful.  I just added a
snivelling little advert to this mail, didn't I?

Mr David Moore commented on the appearance of the spooky missprint.org
"SS" logo on the Sinister pages.  Just you wait, Mr Moore, Miss Print's
sexy stormtroopers will kick you into shape.  She's been busy, and some
of you will have noticed that the search engine is a little souped up,
making it easier to search for things now.  So if you didn't have much
luck before, try again.  I was amazed to see that the collective
Sinister nation had done 10,000 searches on the Sinister archives since
February, presumably all for obscenities.  You can now also search
across all the music lists at missprint now, and although there aren't
many yet, you'll see, you'll see.  They won't be smiling when we're
running the United Nations.

Talking of united nations, congratulations to Jordi on the arrival of
his Spanish B&S list, a bouncing little baby boy, little brother to her
3 year old Sinister Big Sister, who will make him jam sandwiches for
school and even tie his laces.  There's a link to it on the Sinister
page now.  I even got Aunt Sadie to help me write a hello message in
Spanish to the new list from Sinister, but she's nearly as hopeless as
me at it, and frankly, the results are untelligible.  I'm really
embarrassed.  Como esta usted?

My mobile phone's broken, in case anyone was thinking of ringing me.
"Good thing" I hear you say.  The irony of someone with M.E. having a
mobile phone isn't lost on me, no.  However!  I may be off to Gay Paris
next week, I'm being abducted.  It's that nice kind of abduction where
you get advanced warning.  I hope it doesn't involve masking tape.  But
apart from next week, I'm here honestly, watching over (or under you).

FLOWERS/COMPETITION

Two related things.  Do you remember when the band played Top Of The
Pops and were attacked by Tom Jones, naked as the day he was born under
his gorilla suit?  Search for "taffy tosspot" in the Sinister search
engine, and Peter Miller will tell you a tale.  Do you remember how
there were artificial flowers all over the stage and at the end the
band threw them to the audience like Dana International?  Actually I
got a picture from UK TV from a kind person who sent them to the
newsgroup, and it's at:

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/concerts/TOTP.html

I can't remember who it was who sent these.  If you're listening,
please get in touch, and say if it's ok for me to include it there.

Anyway, we have (will have), preserved for you, one of the very flowers
that the BBC provided for the stage set above.  You can just about see
them in that picture, by the drums.  So what we need is a *competition*
like the good old days when we used to invent B&S-related swear words
in the "Sinister Profanothon", and you can be the proud owner of said
flower.

Could someone please invent a B&S-related competition, suitably stupid
and vaguely insulting like the last ones, and collect entries?  Then
assemble a crack team of judges and judge it?  If anyone wants to do
this, please mail me, "not the list".  I'll see if I can get some other
prizes too, although it may be a little plastic drummer boy in a kilt
worth two quid from a tacky Edinburgh tourist shop.  He *won't*
vibrate, no.

Finally, the person who's sending the flower also did some quick
interviews with a few people around that time, that didn't end up in
the press as they should've, so he thought you might all like to see
them, which is nice.  They're below.  The first is with the TOTP
producer Chris Cowey about it all, and the second is with Stuart at
TOTP.

Stay good,
Momia Miel xxx

--------------

CHRIS COWEY

"TOTP used to be a children's show. I graduated from The Tube and The
White Room so I couldn't be having that. It's great having Belle and
Sebastian and S Club 7 on the same bill.

TOTP used to be predictable so I started throwing in curveballs like
Belle and Sebastian. People don't just like one sort of music unless
they're really sad. You've got to take the family view - there's a
7-year-old, a misunderstood student and a middle-aged parent. I'm all of
them. Which aspect of my personalities do Belle and Sebastian appeal to?
They appeal to my liking of 60s pastiche!

I hope this isn't their only performance on TOTP. The charts are
dominated by pop and dance - in `rock' people tend to buy albums. TOTP
should have bands who appeal to MM readers - we shouldn't exclude
people. It should be universal and reflect that. If you watch it all the
way through and you like all of it you need therapy!

Hopefully, Belle and Sebastian will be one of the memorable things about
TOTP. The stage is strewn with artificial flowers. Maybe there'll be an
All You Need Is Love moment. Hopefully they [the flowers] have been
washed since they were last used by Morrissey! We do 60s pastiches well.
We should have brought Tony Blackburn back to work for the night!"

------------------

STUART MURDOCH Q+A

Have you had any advice from your new showbiz mates today?

"Today?! God no! No one knows who we are."

This must have made a change from a 5 hour soundcheck.

"Yeah, absolutely. That's why it was a bit surreal, because we've just
been sitting around so there's nothing to get nervous about. It'll
probably just look as if we've just woken up when we're actually on."

How does TOTP compare to The Apocalypse Tube you played?

"It's just painless. The Tube was painful because we had to play live.
I thought The Tube was rubbish when we saw the show played back. I think
TOTP's rubbish, but you can't slag them off too much. We're just
monkeys."

So you don't have complete control?

"We're not in control at all! They put roses all over the stage and
we're like `whatever'."

You all looked nervous in rehearsal.

"I think it was just the miming thing. We'll need a few drinks and try
and make it look as if we're having a laugh. It'll be different when the
audience is in and we'll have a laugh with them."

Are you going to mime at future gigs?

"Absolutely not. Next time we're on TOTP we'll try and sing live. You
do get a buzz from playing live on TV and radio."

Do you think you appeal to teenyboppers?

"I dunno. I haven't got a scoobie. Maybe with this tune - it's a lively
tune so if we're jumping about they'll be jumping about."

Will Legal Man go up next week?

"I think we'll disappear from sight - come on!"

Have you got a single that will do better in the charts?

"We were trying to write a follow up smash in the dressing room."

How long does it take to write a smash?

"Not long at all, you've just got to get the spark. It's not a hard
thing to do if you have the talent or the inspiration. It took Jackson
to write this one."

Will you be staying in on Friday to watch TOTP?

"No. I'm going to New York . I'm going to do an interview with Time and
going on holiday."

Will your parents be sitting at home watching you proudly?

"I haven't told them. My dad will be playing golf, so I'll phone my mum
tonight."

Will they think this is the moment that you've made it or was that the
Brits?

"The moment my dad got his first royalty cheque through for Tigermilk.
He bought the tapes of Tigermilk when we were skint. We bought them
back, but he kept a share and he was quite happy to acknowledge I had a
proper job."

Are you sad that Steps aren't playing tonight?

"Not particularly. The Eels are playing so I'd like to see them."

Would you talk to Steps if they were here?

"Yeah, over a pint in the pub, but not necessarily at TOTP as
everyone's rushing about. It's like A Hard Day's Night."

What's your favourite TOTP moment?

"AC/DC because it meant a lot to me at the time. Baby Let's Get It Up -
I was just at that age, you know. The Smiths were fantastic, but I was
older so it didn't mean so much. I've still got my AC/DC records,
everything up until Back In Black."

Why are you wearing a Dennis The Menace t-shirt?

"I bought this 15 years ago. It smells a bit..."

---------