Sinister: Flynn reply: Campbell II

dougal shaw dougalshaw at xxx.com
Thu Sep 7 02:02:55 BST 2000

It seems slightly silly to argue on-line, especially on the list which is a
community of like-minded people. Still, it can be fun to argue about the
band which we all love. So I will answer your comments, then leave the
subject alone.

Firstly, about Isobel appearing ‘fishy’…etc. Those words were written in
jest, but of course it is difficult to gauge someone’s tone in e-mails. I
think it would be stupid to bitch about her in a serious manner anyway. Its
like trading insults in the playground. And the band’s internal politics are
there own business of course. Second guessing them is just a sort  of
parlour game for bored minds. Still, it shows we care about the band. And I
believe its wrong to be too deferential to a band you like. Just because you
are a fan, doesn’t mean you renounce the right to criticise them. You don’t
bow to the mysterious forces which create the music, which is how I
interpreted your comment (‘How would you know what her contribution is?’).
In fact, people on the list have discussed Isobel’s contribution quite
frequently, particularly in the light of her offering on the latest album,
Beyond the Sunrise. A lot of folk commented  on the fact that it seemed to
sit uncomfortably (at least initially) on the album, and perhaps Loneliness
of the Middle Distance Runner should have been there instead. There was also
a good review of the album in the Independent (or it might have been the
Guardian) which made this same point, and argued that IC’s songs could upset
the unity of B and S albums (I used the phrase ‘organic wholeness’ which you
obviously thought was poncey, but it was at least accurate).

Indeed, far from me plucking the topic of Isobel’s contribution to B and S
out of the air, as it were, I think the issue plainly suggests itself.
Isobel obviously feels that she has an artistic vision which cannot be
expressed through the voice of Belle and Sebastian, or she would not be in
two (count them) other bands of her own where she takes a more prominent
role viz the song-writing. I don’t believe it is petty indie empire building
on her part, but a genuine desire to explore her own artistic voice.

This brings us to your other interesting question about the nature of an
individual’s contribution to a band. You say that ‘you might as well say
Ringo spoiled the Beatles’. I don't think he spoiled the Beatles, but I
think most people would agree that his contribution to the band's output was
overshadowed by the other members. When a journalist asked Paul McCartney if
he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, he quickly replied ‘I
don’t think he’s the best drummer in the Beatles’. He wasn’t a particularly
good drummer, and if you’ve heard his dismal musical offerings in the last
few years, you’ll know he’s not a good song-writer either. The fact is that
there is rarely an even distribution of talent in a band. Lennon and
McCartney (and to a lesser extent Harrison) gave the Beatles their
distinctive sound, and history has judged that Lennon was probably the more
inventive and talented songwriter of the band (Case for the prosecution: the
entire Wings back catalogue). I think there are quite a few bands in which
some members are ‘key’ and others peripheral characters who have been
drafted in, or are along for the ride because they are friends. Lee Mavers
was almost certainly the creative force in the La’s (prosecution exhibits:
the on-going calamity that is the Cast back-catalogue). Some people in  the
collaborative effort which is a  band are simply expendable. Would the Happy
Mondays really be any different without Bez, the Jimi Hendrix Experience be
significantly different without Noel Redding, Oasis any better or worse
without their old drummer. There is no equality of talent in a band. To
return to your Beatles point, Ringo brought his personality to the Beatles
for sure. That may be important, but it’s only cosmetic. And after the years
go past, and the screams of the obsessed fans die down, the cosmetic doesn’t
matter anymore: just the music itself. (Which is why the Spice Girls back
catalogue will rot in the obscurity it deserves in ten years time, as the
impressionable six to twelve year olds will no longer be there to buy their
music (fooled by the cosmetics of their media presence and so-called
personalities), which on its own is tawdry, formulaic crap. If it conveys
any kind of joy to anyone in the future, it will only be as a piece of
nostalgia. But the Spice Girls won’t care, because they will already have
their fortunes built from the piggy banks of the impressionable kids. Sorry,
slight diversion there on a rant!)

Having said that, I agree that there are some bands where the quality of the
songs seems to transcend the talents of the individual members (whole more
than the sum of the parts sort of thing) , and it would be stupid  to
isolate any single member as being the driving force. I think the Stone
Roses would fall into this category, or the Pixies (Kim Deal and Joe
Santiago made as much of a contribution to the band’s sound as Francis
Black), or the Who to give three examples.

I suppose the idea of the pop band is quite strange in this respect. In most
art forms, there is one person who is  responsible for the work: the
painter, the sculptor, the classical composer, the novelist, the architect,
the playwright. But in a pop band, there seems to be a mixture: the single
artist expressing his or her vision, and the group of artists collaborating
to make the work together. No wonder groups often end up in court arguing
about royalty cheques (any Spandau Ballet fans out there, hello?).

Anyway, I think that is all I have to say on the matter. My fingers are sore
from typing and I want to go and watch Ally McBeal because I enjoy hating
it. If you have more to say and want to reply, please don’t be too nasty
(and I expect we have more common ground than we realise). It’s o.k to
disagree, and we should not lose sight of the fact that we are both having
this discussion because we are devotees of the same band.

Respectfully,

Dougal