Sinister: Parlour gems and their cosmetic value

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 7 18:18:39 BST 2000

Ufff.If the time/quality ratio is still the standard to establish the
good value of any message to this list of ours and Mama Miel,the
hours of painstaking research which have preceded the next lines
hopefully will redeem them from the most severe of courts out there.

Following my first encounter with the one and only PF and its/his/her
exchange with Ally Cook and others,  I dived into the infinite and blue
swimming pool of quotes which is the Web to learn better on Lloyd Cole
with and without the Commotions, and perhaps with good luck, to puzzle out
that enigma  involving on Scouser fibs arriving to Spanish shores.

Sorry to report that no answer came to bring any conclusions to the
dilemma JB/KK-reference mentioned above.But in some page named 'Creative
Noise' and edited by Brian B. ,post-grad at the University of Arizona, I
found the suggestion of some thought-provoking link between Mr Cole and
the very own Belle and Sebastian.

Before posting any quote on the subject, fearing the irk of the crew who
already had had a go at it,as it included some of the better-read scholars
in this parish, I went and made good use of the SEARCH sinister services
to check if already had been mentioned.Only some bridge over troubled
waters joining Cole's and Lawrence's vocals could be remotely related , so
I considered it was worth coming to it.

Brian's these (I cannot find the web address, but if you type Lloyd Cole +
Creative Noise on any search engine it would be easy enough to
find...sorry about that)is based on an accurate definition of 'college'
rock as the genre performed by liberal arts graduates/students, usually
depicting their peers' existences in their lyrics,populated,however, with
the literary and filmic references that those would recognise and
appreciate, as other college graduates and would-be ones, will basically
make up thir natural audiences.He claims Lloyd Cole, especially in his
times with the Commotions as an early founder of such tradition,
which would find its more remarkable exponent nowadays in Belle and
Sebastian's works.And underlines the Scottishness of them all...

An example of a fed-back, incestuous scene,maybe.

I have missed the rescue of Headings perpetrated by Carsmile Steve,sorry
if this becomes cumbersome and unreadable.Some people obviously enjoy the
amount of free time at work to pen organised mails while they substitute
their receptionist for a lark and talk to academic jet setters casually.

Imagine the following scenario.Ring, ring on my colleague's desk while he
has abandoned the Silicon Graphics for some paltry seconds.Being a not
very mythomaniac person myself, I have found difficult to picture some
name which would make my knees tremble with the doubt of holding up
metaphorically the one at the other extreme of the line to ask him/her how
that book was written, who is that person the song talks about, why that
film had to end so sadly.But it would be a lifetime opportunity in certain
cases...I don't know, I quite enjoyed the anecdote as the door to some
surreal conversation between myself,Charles Smithson and Jeremy Irons in a
telephonic remake of 'The French Lieutenant's wife'.

I should think of working at some other academic institution.Maybe
secretarial positions at the BFI are available in the next future.Hope I
won't get confused with Charles Ryder too if the chance arrives.

Arantxa