Sinister: melody of certain damaged sinistereens

Simiansurvival at xxx.com Simiansurvival at xxx.com
Fri Sep 8 04:15:34 BST 2000

holy shit and a half.

i haven't posted here in a while... i moved from new jersey to st louis to
attend college at webster university, but i've been lurking, and boy, has the
list gotten exciting again.

here's my two cents on some different debates/discussions going on in these
parts:

**Isobel/B&S Songwriting/Etc.**

well, i don't know how the songs are written either, but i asked stuart david
about it a while back when i did an interview w/ him (it's up at miss print
dot com), and this is what he said:

"Mostly with B&S someone writes a song and brings it in finished, and if
whoever wrote it has any ideas for what the other instruments should play
then the other instruments play that part. Otherwise everyone just plays
whatever they want to. I think they've been doing things a bit different
recently, but I haven't been there for a while."

not the greatest explanation, but it clues us in a bit more. it all sounds
good to me anyhow. i had asked him because i was simply curious how the band
arranges the songs w/ all the various instruments.

In terms of Beyond the Sunrise (which is one of my faves off the new album),
I had originally thought it to be a Stevie song after reading something the
band's manager said to Select magazine regarding Fishyclap. After I found out
that it was written by Isobel, it made me look at the Gentle Waves in a more
positive light. Though I liked the Gentle Waves CD already, I enjoy it much
more for some reason. Both Legal Man and Fishyclap have become my favorite
B&S records (replacing 3..6..9 and Tigermilk) because the band feels more
confident, yet still as beautiful as before. The songwriting from all parties
turned out very strong... I'm hoping Sarah comes up with some more songs in
the future especially. Well, seeing how I'm going on a tangent...

**good records I've gotten recently**

i've gotten lots of grat music, new and old, this summer in my travels. these
are some of my faves, and they are all highly recommended (though it varies
in styles quite a bit):

**Blonde Redhead "Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons" (my favorite record of
the year so far. simply beautiful and menacing at the same time)
**Sunshine Fix "Future History of..." (Bill from Olivia Tremor Control.
Psychedelic slow jams and hoedowns)
**Goldfinger Original Sound Track (indeed, James Bond Goldfinger)
**The Good the Bad and the Ugly Soundtrack (Ennio Morricone. wild.)
**Lee Hazlewood "Cowboy in Sweden" (Beyond "Beyond the Sunrise".)
**Trans Am "Red Line" (robot skateboarding music)
**Mouse on Mars - everything
**Stereolab "First of the Microbe Hunters" (i recently started working at the
Gap in the STL Galleria (!) and they played all 9 minutes of "Outer Bongolia"
in the kids store!  if only the kids could appreciate that title. to make
things even more demented, they played hanson right afterwards.)
**Boredoms "Vision Creation Newsun" (sun-worshipping psychedelic exotica)
**Martin Denny "Exotica" (the man the boredoms pay tribute to. psychedelic in
a totally different way- jungle cats & bird calls.)

well, if you haven't all died from boredom due to this post, i'll stop now.
if you have died of boredom, then I'll miss you. rest in peace.

gracias and aloha,
mike j
 PS- yoko is my favorite beatle