Sinister: All the Dope in New York

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Fri Sep 8 08:27:44 BST 2000

Hello,
	Well, Sinister, you may be quick but I am determined. It took
me a long time to catch up with you, but tonight I finally did. And
about time, too! The NYC picnic is this weekend! Woo! Mind you I'm
still in rural West Virginia. However, tomorrow evening I will arrive
in New York. Not explicitly for the picnic, but I'll be attending
nonetheless. In fact, I'm going to move to New York, so if you're
there and bored send an e-mail my way, I'm sure I have room for some
new friends. Or better yet say hi at the picnic, I'm on the pic page
after all, I should be easy to make out. Notice there was no 'with'
at the end of that sentence.

	Speaking of smut, Chris has put us a step in the right
direction. I demand more sauce! Be it ragu or some other boy sauce.
Yes, we need more of it. And Beatles discussion. Well, for the time
being. Myself I don't know that either Lennon or McCartney was a
larger genius. I think possibly my favorite Beatles song would be by
Paul (Your Mother Should Know) but a larger portion are my favorites.
But as to Abbey Road being arguably their highest point? I would be
the person who would put arguably in that sentence. If you ask me it
was
Magical Mystery Tour. But Abbey Road is also lovely. Enough of that.

	In a more relevant topic, it was interesting to see
individuals from Felt and the Go-Betweens comment on Belle &
Sebastian. Especially Lawrence. For some reason Felt and the
Go-Betweens form the Dynamic Duo of the 80s in the world inside my
head. I don't know if they're really all that connected, other than
the fact that I love them both, they're both B&S influences and
there's at least one vaguely Felt-sounding Go-Bs song. I was just
flattening my Go-Betweens poster today, well today and yesterday. I'm
getting it put in a frame because it's signed and I worry about it
becoming dilapidated. Poor poster.

	That brings us to autumn. I'm not sure why, really. But in my
list of things to talk about in this post it was next. So now that
we've cleared that up, can I just say autumn is my favorite time of
year? I don't listen to Isn't Anything at the start of it, I listen
to Souvlaki. Not the food, the Slowdive album. But they're both
shoegaze, maybe there's something about shoegaze being autumnal. I
like autumn, especially the first day with a cool breeze. For me that
day was earlier this week. I didn't listen to Souvlaki, but I did
drive around in my car with the windows down.

	Do Belle & Sebastian have an autumn album? Well, everyone
associates albums differently, but for me Sinister was always wintry,
Arab Strap summery, and beyond that I don't know. I think both of
them came out in those respective seasons so it could explain that.
Tigermilk is such a random collection I doubt I could ever associate
it with anything other than chaos. Fishyclap is...I suppose a little
summery. Maybe the next LP will come out in the fall. Fall 2008 with
our luck...

	Speaking of our dear Belles, I'm not really that fond of this
whole other-songwriters thing, and I've already made that abundantly
clear. I think I would never have complained about it, honestly, if
Sinister and Tigermilk hadn't been all-Struan affairs. I mean I love
some of the songs he didn't write the main bits too, especially
Waiting for the Moon to Rise. But I loved the way the songs fit
together in an album when it was all Struan. Sadly that day may never
come again. Still, the new stuff is good too. I'm just being
negative...

	On a positive note, I found a nice MP3 of Rhoda on Napster.
Well, the beginning bit was cut off but I was happy someone else had
taken the time to encode it, I'm pretty lazy with making MP3s of old
tapes. Maybe now that everyone can theoretically hear it I won't feel
like such a trainspotter mentioning it?  It's not that great anyway.
But it's decent. Sometimes I think it was intended as an album
opener. You know, how the album openers all begin with some acapella
Struan? Well it does too. And all the recent albums have had
excellent lovely openers, so it got shelved. I could go on, but if
you've read down to this point I owe you the favor of saving you from
any more torture. Thank you, and goodnight.

--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>