Sinister: Crossword: "Elfin"="fey"

Stephens, JD sgazzetti at xxx.com
Fri Sep 8 14:16:52 BST 2000

 Hello all--
I have to make this very quick, lucky for you, because I must run out the
door to catch the T to the train which will carry me merrily to NYC for
Picnic 2000 and, apparently, a certain birthday. I have a few little (very
little) reasons for posting, and the first one contains actual B&S
content:
In the October, 2000 Spin "no, really, we're indie" Magazine can be found
the results of a poll taken last month. Apparently, the glossy-advertising
vehicle asked its readers "who should Slim Shady dis next?" Readers were
given the following hilarious choices: Hanson (69%), Belle and Sebastian,
and Your Mom. The last two candidates tied with 15.5% of the votes each.
What a LAFF RIOT.

Other item: I need to apologize to everyone, and especially to Honey, for
allowing my auto vacation reply get into the works like a rusty spanner.
I'm really sorry everyone had to hear that I was away. If it eases the
jealousy any, I had a miserable, wet, sweaty time sloggin through fog and
mist and rain and VERY BAD ODORS in the Green Mountains with 40 pounds of
inedible cured meats on my back. Again, sorry.

One last thing: again, sorry: I am about to (very briefly) revive the
Boring Political Thread. I happened to hear Jesse Ventura on National
Public Radio yesterday. (For those unfamiliar with him, he is Minnesota's
Independent Party governor, and a former professional wrestler. While
running for office, which EVERYONE said was a joke, he couldn't possible
win in a million bazillion years, etc, he used the theme from "Shaft" in a
campaign ad). On the Nader topic, Jesse defined a wasted vote, saying that
it isn't a vote cast for a candidate who "can't win," but rather a vote
that does not reflect one's conscience. If everyone always voted only for
the candidate they thought was sure to win, there would never be any
change.

Okay, I must run. I am very excited for the picnic and meeting new people
and even about the train ride with my magazines and novels and crosswords
and discs and all. I am pretty sure that the last time I rode on a train
was 1986 (!) when I had no money and had to travel all the way from NYC to
New London, Connecticut, hiding from the conductor in the WC with
Gabriella Teresa Ranelli. Note to Pauline Shivers: if you need a female
version of the currently-written-out-of-plot macaroni, look no further.

schatz