Sinister: The diamond necklace played the pawn, hand in hand some drummed along...

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Fri Sep 8 19:25:04 BST 2000

Nick.Dastoor at guardian.co.uk writes:

<< Poor old Brian went mad eventually, trying to come up with a
 punchline to some fantastically elaborate gag involving vegetables and Red
 Indians that would completely rewrite the book of comedy >>

Is this a reference to the legendary "Smile" album?  The greatest album never
made? (in my estimation) If it is, Nick has won my undying adulation and is
the reciepient of my Wookie "life debt" as it were.  There just isn't enough
talk about Smile these days.  You would think a 16 track concept album
devoted to capturing Americana and The Elements on the same slab on vinyl
would at least merit an occasional namecheck.  Perhaps not.  Speaking of
monstrous concepts, I would have thought with the all WHO fans who live
around here SOMEONE at sometime would have brought up "Lifehouse" by now, but
that too goes unmentioned.  Our heroes gave their sanities to make albums
that they would eventually junk, the least we can do is pretend we've heard
them.
Brian Wilson really did have some fucked up jokes though.  He would always
tell the really corny, proto-typical Beach Boy ones to the studio muscians
when they were cutting a record (sample: "I really dig my new shoes
man...they've got a lot of "sole".  [silence] Now let's try this tambourine
bit again...")  The Beatles obviously had the brains and wit of the Pan
Atlantic rivalry but Brian had the innocence, charm and mental instability,
all of which adds up to a much more interesting story.  I'm sorry, I love the
Beatles as much as the next guy but I don't think "Motherless teen duo goes
on to become greatest songwriting team in history" compares very well with
"Partially-deaf, overweight, paranoid-schizophrenic overcomes thieving father
and sadistic cousin to write, arrange, produce and market several of the
greatest albums of all-time."  Beatles: rich, arrogant,
self-aggrandizing...Brian Wilson: rich, arrogant, doesn't know where the hell
he is.
I like Ringo very much, but then again I'm a drummer so maybe thats why.  He
wasn't a very technical player (Paul was rumored to be light years better)
but his stuff just fits so well and ended up being such a Beatle trademark
that anyone who says the Beatles were soiled in any way, shape or form by his
presence is not a very good listener.  How about She Said, She Said?  A Day
In The Life?  Come Together?  Long, Long, Long?  I rest my case.
I'm addicted to Fantasy (American) Football...

Steve C.

"Which Paul?" "BLAH!"

visit http://callowkids.tripod.com or your crush will hate you forever

Call WRNR 103.1 at (410) 269-1031 and request Callow's "Lessons in Shut-eye"
or you will have bad luck...forever or something.