Sinister: wait a minute, Mr. Postman

christa NOGOODNIK at xxx.net
Sat Sep 9 18:55:37 BST 2000

i had a lovely experience today, and i wanted to share with you all.  i
haven't posted here in like 5 months, but this brightened my day
significantly, and i hope it will brighten yours as well.

i was sitting at my computer, finishing up some email and listening to IYFS.
the time was apporoximately 1pm.  i was eagerly anticpating the arrival of
some items that i had ordered from ebay in the mail.  there was a knock on
the door, and i answered... it was the postal carrier lady.  she handed me
my much-ballyhooed package and with a very large smile said to me:
"i have been delivering items in the building for about 15 minutes, and i've
been listening to the music you're playing... can you PLEASE tell me what
this is?"
i replied "its a band called Belle & Sebastian!"
she asked me to write it down and i complied, while "judy and the dream of
horses" was blasting out of the speakers.  she kept smiling and nodding her
head to the music and said to me as she was leaving:
"this is the nicest thing i've heard in so long, thank you so much.  thank
you!"
it sounded like she hadn't heard music that made her feel joy in about 15
years.  i almost started crying.  she asked where she could get it, and i
told her almost any record store, or on amazon.com, and she said she would
buy it today!  i've had a grin on my face ever since.

it was such a nice interaction... i've always felt that B&S could be
appreciated by so many more people than are exposed to them.  this is
proof... and i want you all to know, including the band, that there is a
45-year old lady who delivers mail in Takoma Park, Maryland, USA, who is
happier today because of your words and music.

feel some joy today.
-christa

Darkness with eyes open.
Light with eyes open.