Sinister: before breakfast

gogron gogron at xxx.uk
Sun Sep 10 10:17:31 BST 2000

Dear Sinister People,

It is Sunday morning and I've been reading posts. As usual, The Pinefox
is eloquent, on the concurrence of speculations by Juliana Hatfield and
Nietzsche on the subject of pop-band dynamics, amongst other things: I
can't wait for the book (Cornell, forthcoming... in preparation?)

I trust the New York Picnic was a glittering occassion and wish Miss
Julie a happy birthday today.

People are coming to Glasgow, or live there...wayhey! This startling
fact has been shy to disturb my neurones (I've been doing the gamut of
internet personality tests, all of which seem to point to a
hyper-creative but hoplessley unobservant character). So, the autumn
indoor picnic season fast approaching, it would be kind of nice for some
of us Scottish people to meet up. Even if I'm too obnoxious for comfort
I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who would, given the
opportunity, enjoy one another's company, so send me an email if you're
interested and we can arrange a time and a place.

I am surrounded with cheapish musical equipment in the hope that, by
dint of osmotic magick or somesuch, a tune of my own devising will come
forth of the speakers. So far I have a few lyrics and one of those minor
chord progressions I'm fond of, but no song as such. The brutal fact is
that I lack talent and energy, and luxuriate in the obscure. I have, in
the past, tried to insinuate my music on unsuspecting acquaintances to
be greeted with comments like, erm, 'what the **** is that?' or, well:
put it this way, I was into ambient dub in about 1985 so my efforts
didn't go down particularly well with the Deacon Blue/Lloyd Cole fan
club (to keep it real, man).

Back on the subject of personality tests, us #sinister people have built
up quite a database on TheSpark.com. According to this month's .net
magazine, this type of test is based upon the Myers-Briggs model, which
is a development or offshoot from the 'types' developed by Carl Jung.
Jung himself, when coining such terms as 'introvert' and 'extrovert' was
wary of such profiling becoming a parlour game, but it is a lot of fun
nonetheless. If you like them, another couple to try are:
  http://www.outofservice.com/you
and the gloriously named Fudjack-Dinkelater Functional Preferences
Instrument on:
  http://www.wizvax.net/tap3x/indicators/5level2b.html

Oops, sinister messages are to be plain text only, right? Mmm you'll
have to type them in yersel...

My space allocation is probably up now, although I have noticed that
some of you sign off with an epigram/quotation/stanza, so, here's to the
next half hour hunting for one...

Gordon (Rousseau, even if some mIRC cove has nicked my nick and left me
with the lamentable 'blokegoes')

Words of wisdom a lifetime should last;
not mereley in a couple of sentences cast,
but if I can stretch to three, or four,
therein lies a possibility there might be more.