Sinister: Ring you bongos, Ringo!

Vegard Enlid enlid at xxx.com
Mon Sep 11 17:02:57 BST 2000

Just a comment on the whole Ringo/Beatles-thingy:
No way is Ringo a bad drummer. Sure, the world has seen better, but take a
moment and listen to his apocalyptic drumming on "Strawberry Fields". When
you compare the final take with Lennons earlier sketches on the
"Anthology"-album, you hear that the drumming makes the song sooo much
better. Which brings me to a point someone made about Lennon bringing in
Clapton on "While My Guitar...". Listen to George's demo on Anthology. A
*beautiful* take, with the tune much more to the fore than in the
solo-drenched final version.

John vs. Paul discussions are always good fun at music-geek parties. I
always tend to stick up for Paul, very much because every part-time Beatles
fan seem to have bought the Lennon-myth without any critical reflection.
"uh, I dunno, but John was, like, the genius, wasn't he?".
John was a genius, but so was Paul. It all come down to taste; John was the
enigmatic, "mad" Beatle who stretched the pop formula, but I dare say NO
songwriter has ever come closer to perfection within a more traditional pop
framework than Paul. I'm a sucker for catchy tunes myself, so Paul's my main
man. If "Eleanor Rigby" and
"Let It Be" aren't perfectly crafted pop songs, I don't know what is. I
don't like people mystifying The Beatles, making them visionary demi-gods or
something. They made bloody great pop songs, no more no less.

And no, I don't think John's "She's So Heavy" is not the best song on Abbey
Road. For me, that's "Something", "Golden Slumbers" and "You Never Give Me
Your Money". Abbey Road is my fav. Beatles album, and it's regarded to be
mostly Paul's work. As someone said, John was not very involved in the
making of the album (I have this from several sources).

It's a cliché, but I think what really made the Beatles was the songwriting
chemistry between them, and the fierce competition to write the best song.
Without each other, both John and Paul dabbled in their weaknesses. John did
make just one brilliant solo album, about the same as Paul (Plastic Ono
Band/Band On The Run, the former's a tad better).

On an entirely different note, I've fallen in love again! The last year's
been like hell after my last girlfriend dumped me, but I've finally managed
to move on. Or so I think. In my head, I keep comparing this realtionship
with the one I had, and that's not good stuff. My new girlfriend doesn't
deserve it, as she's the sweetest, kindest soul you could ever imagine. She
likes B&S and Lambchop as well, and yes, that's what made me talk to her in
the first place. I met her at this party, and we just sat in the sofa,
humming "Waiting For The Moon To Rise" together. It didn't made me fall in
love with her at once, but it made for a nice start.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go snogging

Vegard