Sinister: maybe this will send...

Margo Schubert margoschubert at xxx.net
Mon Sep 11 19:58:15 BST 2000

hello all-
so, this is my second post, no real occasion, just kind of bored.
*belle and sebastian tapes*
i was on vacation in boston a couple weeks ago (i live in california) and i
was in this cool little independent record store where i noticed they had a
import/bootleg section.  anyway, they had several b&s ones and i bought two
tapes, one is from london in 1996 plus an interview, more songs, etc. and
the other one is from paris and munchen in 1998.  it was really exciting to
find them.  i had hoped to get one with "loneliness of a middle distance
runner" and a couple other gems not on albums but i did get "paperboat" and
the tape quality is really good and it's cool to hear them live, so i was
happy.  i was a little conflicted about dropping $8.50 per tape.  see, i
sort of feel that live music should be shared and traded among fans (i mean
not including the cost of the blank cdr or cassette) rather than sold in a
store, since none of the profits are going to the band.  however at this
time i don't have a means of getting my hands on any live b&s (okay,
actually my brother has been downloading a bunch of mp3's to make me a cd, i
forgot) so i felt like it was okay to buy them.  it was supporting an
independent music store and i want those to stay alive.
*belle and sebastian at work*
i have played belle and sebastian at the store i work at (where we can only
play our own music after the store closes) and it has got a rather chilly
reception by most of my coworkers (there is one guy who works there who also
likes them).  but then the other night i brought in "the geometrid" and
people actually seemed to like it.  one guy even told me today they he had
gone to look for it at the record store, so that was kind of cool.
interesting though.
also, one of the cheesy chain-issued (i work at trader joe's, this
grocery-type store) soft rock tapes that plays during store hours has "ease
your feet in the sea" on it.  i don't care for it in this context at all, as
it is classifying belle and sebastian in this lame soft rock genre.
*bay area listees*
(if anyone is still reading this post)
so, when are we going to have a picnic/meetup here.  i actually live in
santa cruz, but would totally go to san francisco or wherever for s sinister
gathering.  is there anyone going to modest mouse out here on october 8 or
9?  if you are not, you should, they are a brilliant band, as has been
discussed this week.  i am not sure which  date i will be attending yet.
also, if there are any seattle listees, i am going up there the last weekend
of this month for my stepsister's 21st birthday.  she and her boyfriend are
also b&s fans, so if anyone ones to meet up there, it would be cool.
*misc*
there is this overweight guy who runs incredibly slowly (i mean hardly
running) by my house in the morning when i am sitting out on the porch
having the first cigarette/coffee of the day.  there is the instinct that he
looks kind of ridiculous, but then i look at myself smoking, drinking coffee
and realize, good for him, at least he is trying to be healthy and take care
of himself, so today he waved at me and i gave him a big smile, since i had
just been thinking that.
okay, i will stop now.
-margo