Sinister: Warbling

David White david at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 15 17:58:33 BST 2000

"men, dont do that stupid warbly whistling all round

the shop.and if you do dont stand with your hand on

your hip and do andrew loyd webber. its not ladylike."

I've never noticed it in supermarkets but I have noticed that everytime
theres been somebody in my house to do domestic repairs or deliveries (gas
man, electricity man, delivery men or whatever) they always do that warbling
whistle thing. It's never a tune I've ever heard but seems to be kind of
organic in that it constantly changes and doesn't seem to be one tune in
particular. I reckon it must be part of the training. The only other place
I've ever heard them is on trains. Theres generally some old bastard sitting
right behind me whistling away in that incredibly annoying, through the
teeth style that makes the sound penetrate through even the loudest personal
stereo headphones. Grrr.

Speaking of trains, British Rail (or whatever they are called these days)
really are hopeless aren't they. I say this as a regular train traveller,
but today they surpassed themselves. In the one week when trains have become
much more important since people can't use cars (petrol shortage in the UK
for all those overseas listees), they decide to introduce a brand spanking
new train at Glasgow Central station. Except that the damn thing got no
further than 100 yards out of the platform before it derailed and thus
caused pandemonium for all subsequent trains in and out of the station.
D'oh!

David White
david at djwhite47.freeserve.co.uk