Sinister: i'm the b-a-d, you're the m-a-n

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Mon Sep 18 22:32:47 BST 2000

yes, well,

begin with the tragic, i always say:
i went to bumbershoot in seattle and all i got was this lousy 3-day
hangover. ah, no, of course not - there was more. but i did manage to
*not* get into the magnetic fields show. and i did manage to weep
(silently, and along with 500 others who were turned away when the
(indoor!) venue filled up. at the time it was tragic, but it's been
downgraded to simply sad now.) then i drank some beer, and things got
so much better! we got to see sleater-kinney and also ronnie spector
the next day, and they were wonderful and amazing. other things i did
not see: fellow sinister-types. and i even wore my stow shirt (and on
sunday, a 'vote nader and laduke' sticker*). you were nowhere (and
everywhere...)
i'm thinking about going to terrastock in november.

steven kado has been stealing my spotlight. all my life... i've just
realized this and am now on the verge of boarding a charter flight
across the country to put an end to it. why can't you just go back to
reading proust and stop being so bluddy convergent? here's the thing:
*i* watched 4-plus hours of 'queer as folk' yesterday too. and *i*
got elbowed by old chinese ladies in chinatown while trying to buy
strange looking fruits. not that this matters anymore; it's been said
before. etc. etc. etc. but i bet kado didn't watch lars von trier's
'the element of crime' last night, and even if he did, it couldn't
have been accompanied by a live musical score, nor could it have been
held in a theatre that became progressively hotter despite the fact
that warm bodies kept leaving. there was also a shared pomegranate.
which made things, really, a lot better than they could have been in
the pomegranate's absence. (it's strange; i have never purposely
meant to watch a lars von trier movie, no, they just happen to me.
suddenly i'm in a place and a lars von trier movie comes on. sneaky.)
(also, pomegranates are the popcorn of the fruit world.) so, i liked
this movie because it involved hypnotism and left me feeling, well,
humid and grimey. i think it was about subjectivity. but maybe i'm
wrong. lar dee lar lar(s). thoughts?

steve also said the word "rad", which has been hanging around me a
lot lately. in fact, someone i hadn't seen for two years said to me
just the other day, "you cut your hair, it looks rad." which made me
smile and say "aaww gee, thanks." the word "dude" is also common
lately, but then it never really left, did it.

i also quite miss ghd.

Ian N. spoke of his nearsightedness and recognizing complete
strangers. the opposite of which is being near-sighted and
recognizing people you know and trying to avoid them only to have
them recognize you and then you mutter 'oh, i don't have my glasses
on, didn't know it was you, ha ha ha, etc.' only to realize you
actually *do* have your glasses on. at which point you can
legitimately act psychotic.

jen's 3-foot doll is scaring me from all the way across an ocean and
a large country. i thought they stopped making those dolls when one
appeared with glowing eyes in a horror movie. once things appear in
horror movies they should cease existing. like sharks. and the dark.

i'm off to make a horror movie about the olympics now.
outta your mind,
robyn
(*in the spirit of my new political movement, sure to shake the earth
or at least the soil around my apartment building, "canadians for
nader". yes, you can see the sub-headlines: "currently supporting
nader are michael moore, the united electrical workers and the
country of canada!")
(p.s. i did not *just* wear a sticker, despite the current trend
toward nakedness (or at least invisibility) among certain
sinister-types - i wore three stickers... gosh.)

=====
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC