Sinister: a ledge

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Fri Sep 22 06:49:40 BST 2000

Sometimes, do you feel that you're drifting too close to the edge?  But
then it's delicious.

Before Ailsa left with her bride's trousseau, she held up a mirror and
pointed out the correspondence between the first verses of "Slow Graffiti"
and "The Picture of Dorian Gray".  But the objective correlative failed.

To me, it's a story of a chalice held high above a clamoring throng.  The
anguish is not of failed vanity.  To the contrary, that much is said.  But
it's not the same when it's said.  The beauty still lingers there.  A
noble mind among things lost and decayed.  Here the words are like pebbles
thrown one by one, spreading their rings, only merging at the edges: "I
mounted the staircase and gained the upper part of the house.  The high
cold empy gloomy rooms liberated me and I went from room to room singing."
Nancy Packer read that passage and pointed out how the sense of
the adjectives complement each other but don't overlap.  Don't scoff at a
lover's ardor.

Or do you think he really meant for us to?

With love,
Youn