Sinister: Trains that go bump in the night

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Sat Sep 23 11:02:16 BST 2000

I've just been catching up on a *huge* backlog of sinister posts, and I
found this from a week ago:

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, David White wrote:

> Speaking of trains, British Rail (or whatever they are called these days)
> really are hopeless aren't they. I say this as a regular train traveller,
> but today they surpassed themselves. In the one week when trains have become
> much more important since people can't use cars (petrol shortage in the UK
> for all those overseas listees), they decide to introduce a brand spanking
> new train at Glasgow Central station. Except that the damn thing got no
> further than 100 yards out of the platform before it derailed and thus
> caused pandemonium for all subsequent trains in and out of the station.
> D'oh!

You see, I have some friend-of-a-friend inside information on this.  The
derailing of the train wasn't a problem.  The problem was that it started
moving *by itself*; when the panicking staff realised it was heading on to
the main line, they derailed it deliberately.  These brand spanking new
trains will, therefore, have to sit around doing nothing for a year or so,
whilst men with clipboards look at their brakes and go "hmmm..."

Yours, belatedly (and suchlike)

--
Will Salt