Sinister: japanese books, reading in bed, fight club, and trains

kerry zutroy at xxx.org
Sun Sep 24 18:42:01 BST 2000

Hello sinister, long time since i've sat down and written to you.
I finally figured out how to sync all of my email folders to my palmpilot. Do you know what this means? It means that i now read all of my email.
For example, today is sunday, and i neither have work nor school, so i woke up on my own, without the aid of an alarm clock. My trusty palm was sitting beside my bed, all full up with email downloaded from the previous night. So do you know what i did? I read my mail in bed. How fantastic. Although i'm kind of hungry, i'm still in bed and i don't really feel like getting up yet. So i may just sit here and read.
Have any of you ever read any of the "i am a cat" books by soseki natsume? They really are fantastic. Turn-of-the-century (19th-20th, that is) japanese satire written from the viewpoint of a cat with no name. I think the word "twee" was probably created to describe these books specifically.
On the other hand, though, i might get out of bed and watch fight club. I'm not really sure why, but i love that movie. It might have something to do with the line about marla being like the cut on the roof of your mouth that would heal if only you would stop tongueing it.
On to more sinister-related stuff.
Will Salt wrote in response to a post about brand-spanking-new trains falling off the tracks to let us know it was intentional, and the brakes didn't work. I just wanted to say that i liked the story better when the trains couldn't stay on the tracks for more than 100 yards. It reminded me of that little man on the tricycle on laugh-in that would ride onscreen then fall over.
And, last but not least, i was wondering if any of you chicagoland sinisterines would be interested in a meetup sometime. You know, just go out and get a beer or something.
write me privately if you're interested.

-kerry

p.s. - Brandt is absolutely right about the stars of track and field.

"we're special in other ways. ways our mothers appreciate."
	- built to spill, "kicked it in the sun"