Sinister: shorten any word that's too long!!

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Thu Sep 28 10:54:40 BST 2000

Lorraine, there's nothing ludicrous about 'ambulance'.  It originally
referred to a stretcher used to carry wounded soldiers who had "Fought in a
War" (had to get the reference in there somewhere).  As the stretcher
bearers were walking they were ambulatory, hence 'ambulance'.  So the German
is obvious and the English is interesting.  So there!

I think my fave long German word is Strassenbahnhaltestelle, meaning tram
stop.  I remember a cartoon in my German textbook that had a bank robber
(complete with bagful of cash, stripey jumper and mask, natch) approaching a
trembling old lady and asking "Wie komme ich am besten zur
Strassenbahnhaltestelle?"  The German language direclt affects their crime
rate.

Rob Brennan, is there really a venue in Portsmouth called the Wedgewood
Rooms?  This conjures up wonderful images of people too afraid to dance or
get too drunk for fear of smashing all the china.  Who knows, maybe Pompey
residents talk about a "mosher in the Wedgewood rooms" rather than a bull in
a china shop.