Sinister: oh goodness

C.R. Phillips crp28 at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 28 12:23:16 BST 2000

hello

it's funny really - i've started five "hey! this is my first mail!" things
already over the past few months but every single time, it has failed
either because (for the first time) i didn't read the rules for sending
things or because my unworldly university can't just provide us with
normal computer services cos they just have to be as difficult as they can
whenever they see an opportunity. and then also, i guess i'm a bit
dumb. what this means is that i can't face properly introducing myself
agaaain and that may well make me look a little, hmmmm, apathetic or rude
but i'm really v. not. all i'll say is that as i look round, i'm sitting
in a deserted room tapping away loudly (because it's deserted and so i
can) and wondering where all the people are. maybe they are having a
midday party somewhere. but this is a university where i don't know if
people party....not to be criptic....hmmmmm.

so, my name is charlie.

hope you are all well. i like the way that the people in this world of
letters (i.e. sinister - i'm in a weeeiiiirrrrdddd mood and that makes me
look silly) seem so placid and content and i'm sure that they aren't all
the time but i guess you can come across that way when you're just writing
to lots of people because it's a beautifully calming thing to do and it
gets out what you're trapping in your head. yay.

the talk of foreign languages made me think of the book i'm reading - "the
secret history" which i'm told is v. cliché of me but boo to that - in
which people address each other from time to time in ancient greek or
latin and that seemed so wonderful as a way of adding meaning in the way
you say something as well as what you're saying. and i worried that the
other people in the story who don't so that might think that those who who
do are v. pretentious and that that would be so unfair because pretending
is good and gives weight to the things you do that are concretely real.

does that make sense? well, if it's not too forced a jump, then i think
it's also true of the lovelylovelylovely heroes of our worlds because
without mr. stu's voice or isobel's too, it wouldn't be the same because
they design the words for their own voices and their voices are part of
the message. the lyrics should be printed with their voices in them, tho i
guess that's impossible from a physics point of view or whatever. some
things are just beautiful because of the way they exist and they exost to
be beautiful and hey, that's belle and seb.

yay.

love charlie