Sinister: "HS", this will bore Americans...

Gromit324 at xxx.com Gromit324 at xxx.com
Thu Sep 28 18:27:44 BST 2000

In a message dated 9/27/00 3:25:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nickgillespie at hotmail.com writes:

<< but the best thing about the language is the constant shortning of words.
 any normal word that used to long has some shortned version or an acronym
 made of it.

 ie. the word for where class takes place is "HS." i'm not even sure of what
 it stands for but everyone knows what you mean when you say it, so... hey,
 why not? >>

HS is short for High School here in the states.  High school consists of:
Freshman year (or "9th grade", ages 14-15-ish)
Sophomore (or "10th grade", ages 5-16ish)
Junior ("11th grade", 16-17ish)
Senior ("12th grade" 17-18ish)

There is also Junior High school (never shortened to JH, just Jr. High) which
is 7th and 8th grade -- sometimes called Middle School when it adds in 6th
graders.

Bring a #2 pencil, there will be a quiz tomorrow.....

I had a friend from Ireland who never could understand the different grades
-- like when I said, "Well, when I was in 8th grade...".  He'd just stop me
and say, "Wait, how old were you then? Eighth grade means nothing to me."

*Colleen*