Sinister: A chance to see a picture of Scott Plouf (Built to Spill), + some other people

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Fri Sep 29 21:41:25 BST 2000

You know, Will Porter is a name that reminds me of early cinema. A scholar
or a director? I can barely remember these days. It's been a while. A while
since I studied that stuff, I mean, but also a while since the days of early
cinema. Nonetheless, whoever this Porter, Sweeney or Earwicker might be, he
exclaimed today:

>>>But I'm going to New York City in a couple weeks! yay!

Now, I don't need to tell you that such talk doesn't spread much ice, I
mean, cut much mustard, around here. You should try getting out of South
Croydon on a Thursday night before you start saying things like that.
Nonetheless, it's the kind of thing that folks on this list are always
saying - so let me share some junk mail with you. No, it's not a free
diploma or $25,000 - or is that a free $25,000 or pay for a diploma? I
really can't remember the dynamics of these things I clear out of this
account every other day - it's way more interesting than that, and you ought
to get a load of it. But it arrived in these parts in equally mechanical and
collectivized, not to say mass-mailshot, form, with the dull thud of a
Reader's Digest tumbling on to a doormat chosen with what David Bowie
(that's 'Bowie' to you) misleadingly calls 'the randomizer button'.

chickfactor editor Gail O'Hara will be displaying her photographs at ace
record shop OTHER MUSIC (15 East 4th Street between Broadway & Lafayette)
from Oct 1-22

The collection includes portraits (many of) The Magnetic Fields, Amy Linton
(The Aislers Set), Belle and Sebastian, Yo La Tengo, Cat Power, Barbara
Manning, Lois, Liz Phair, Aggi Pastel, Janet Weiss, Stevie Jackson, Pamela
Berry, The Foxgloves, Scott Plouf (Built to Spill), Robert Forster (The
Go-Betweens), Pavement, Salmon Skin, Sleater-Kinney, and Containe.

Many of these have appeared in chickfactor magazine.

Feel free to post this info on those many lists around le monde!

=====================================

Now, I have a feeling that advertising things like this is actually against
the rules of the sinister list. Has anyone checked the rules lately? I know
Peter Miller hasn't, or he would have noted that article 16b) is a ban on
mentioning Baxendale. We'll let him off lightly, it's his first offence. No,
it's not, come to think of it. He's been offending since Jimmy Nail stopped
riding donkeys. Anyway, the thing is, this is not an advert, it's an
opportunity for annotations. These follow.

>>>ace

This means 'stellar'.

>>>15 East 4th Street

This is quite near 5th Avenue. But it is nearer the Bronx. It is also close
to Queen's. To get there, you take the L-train, not to mention the Z-train,
from Staten Island and disembark opposite the drug store between Macy's and
JC Penney's.

>>>The collection includes portraits (many of) The Magnetic Fields

My colleague Miles Hanley thinks that there is a word missing from this
sentence and it should read: 'The collection includes portraits of (many of)
The Magnetic Fields...'.

>>>The Magnetic Fields

This is explained on the sinister entry for

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:56:06 GMT

>>>Amy Linton

Another missprint. Should read 'Chelsea Clinton'. (Thanks to Paddy Dukakis
for correction.)

See http://www.missprint.org/sinister/

>>>Yo La Tengo

Yo La Tengo is a member of the 'new neuralism' school of 'most[ly]-modern'
Japanese fiction. He writes uncompromisingly, in the dark. For more
information see http://www.yolatengonipon.com, or e-mail Martin Robinson at
captain at marvel.com.

>>>Stevie Jackson

See http://www.missprint.org/sinister/

>>>Pamela Berry

This artist is nowadays more often known via a collection of letters and a
number. 'Pamela Berry' is an old-fashioned form of her name, yet very
respectful, and thus to be encouraged. For more information see
http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/staff/pberry.html

>>>The Foxgloves

This refers to a picture which has been known to make lumberjacks salivate,
gyrate and go to discos. See also http://www.papercuts.co.uk.

>>>free

Best known for the soft-rock hit 'All Right Now'.

For more information see http://www.hardrockin'tosh.com

>>>around le monde

This is another error. Should read 'Trompe Le Monde'. See
http://www.planetofsound.com.

In other news, I noticed that someone had finally replied to Ally96Cookie's
fascinating rhetorical questions about spiders. And the respondent was Lucy
Alder, who had things to say about (I think) the preponderance of spiders in
autumn.

Have these two been introduced? I think they would get on well.

David Moore chelmed in, claiming to be:

>>>a person on whom the whole business of remixing is lost. Except for The
>>>League Unlimited Orchestra's Love And Dancing, The Cure's Mixed Up & a
>>>Tortoise 12" I can't remember the name of right now.

Forget black pudding, Cazza, I mean, Begbie - when did anyone ever mention
Mixed Up on the list? I still remember the NME cover, October 1990: the
headline was 'Bobby On The Beat'. I know that Steady Mike remembers this in
detail, too, but he's not admitting it. He saw the Cure in Crystal Palace,
you know. I think it was about 3 days ago.

Honey said:

>>>Squirrels have cheeks, not pouches, don't they.

I suppose so. It was sweet of you to point out the mistake. Only Alix
Campbell had noticed it.

and

>>>then I'll have to stop running Sinister, and then you'll all have to join
>>>the Status Quo list.

But PJ Miller and I are already on that list! What kind of a threat is that?

In another part of the world, the gringo known as Senor Timotei el Hopkinsio
has been quaffing Sol [Campbell] and saying things like:

>>>The Divine Comedy were and are utterly vile. Kingmaker are merely
>>>horrible.

Is he right? I think he might be, you know.