Sinister: i stare at the sky, and it turns me blind

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Sun Apr 1 20:43:57 BST 2001

hello sinister, your friendly neighbourhood misanthropist here.

had an exhausting but largely unsuccessful shopping trip in london
yesterday.  camden has apparently succumbed to a plague of 13 year old
skater goths in biblical proportions.  i was stunned by sheer numbers of
them, like little baggy black ants.  there's something really odd about
seeing them in their aggressive boots, aggressive slipknot-wear and
aggressive make-up, but with little innocent pre-teen chubby faces.  i think
i'm getting old.

when i got home i watched the 'top ten x-rated' on channel four, which was
hardly full of surprise entries.  although i never realised that poor lovely
scott walker got banned for saying 'bum'.  the success of all the acts
featured, post-censorship, makes me wonder whether b&s shouldn't release
'judy is a dick slap' with some gangsta rap lyrics added in and a rudey
video.

i also watched the von trapp kids extravaganza (i know, i really need to get
out more - see last post).  the sound of music, as vb suggested, is
definitely an epic masterpiece.  a couple of years ago i went to salzburg
and took part in the sound of music bus tour, where my friend anna and i got
to recreate every song and dance routine.  you go to the mirabell gardens
(do-re-mi steps), THE mountain, and the love scene gazebo.  ahhhh...
incidentally, we also did some amusing princess leia impressions with large
austrian bagels.  but we were young.

 carsmile and i seem to be involved in some kind of psychic race (but i bet
i'd beat him in a real race, due to my more moderate alcohol consumption
over the years...). and now he's got there first with the mention of (smells
of) wee stuart david being 'joined' by peacock johnson in borders.  the
listing goes on to say 'Observe first hand Peacock's well dressed, badly
advised and always utterly compulsive world. The Peacock Manifesto is
probably the best black comedy you'll read this year.'

as it's only april this strikes me as a fairly bold claim.  anyway, i'll be
heckling stuart/peacock at brighton borders on the 18th april if anyone
wants to join me.

ooh, just listening to pj harvey's duet with thom yorke for the first time
and it's gorgeous.  their voices do complement each other i think, polly's
being soft and husky while thom's is ethereal/banshee.

change in pockets: has anyone done the gender test at www.thespark.com?  we
worked out that out of the 50 plus questions, the only one they use to
really determine your gender is 'do you carry stuff in your pockets?'  if
no, you're officially a girl.

now my cd player has turned around to the holy bible.  depite the kings of
convenience, i have not been in a very quiet, twee mood lately.  'why do
anything when you can forget everything?'  yeah.

i have decided to go to canada (toronto i think) when my job finishes in
september.  not for good (yet) but for a week or two.  i know it's a long
way off yet, but if any canadian listees want to give me info or advice, or
meet up, that would be cool.

now i'm off into town to buy the stuff i didn't get yesterday.  london has
let me down indeed.

luv archel xxx

Rachel Playforth
'She may not be famous, but she's right' - Homer Simpson

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk
Contact us on buzzwords at bigfoot.com