Sinister: memories of when honey was just "paul"

kerry zutroy at xxx.org
Wed Apr 4 05:01:21 BST 2001

Hello sinister.
it's been a while, and i've been enjoying your posts. it seems to me
the list has been very literary-minded over the last few weeks, a lot
of posts that read like short fiction, rather than little notes to
strangers. sometimes like both at once, though, which i like. so
thank you for sending it all my way, no matter how indirectly or
unintentionally.
so, tonight i was procrastinating and i decided to figure out when i
joined this list in the first place. it turns out i got my "welcome
to sinister" email on july 27, 1998. i've been rereading the FAQ
included compared with the current one and have discovered a few
things. least surprisingly, the new FAQ is longer, but only by about
3 questions. more surprisingly, i found this as the last question of
the old FAQ:

>24. What sort of presents can I send to Paul to show him I love him?
>

>A very good question - honey of course, rude postcards or silly
>little toys.

the new FAQ says this:

>27.  What sort of presents can I send to Honey to show my love?
>
>A very good question - honey of course, rude postcards or silly little toys.

notice that slight little change there? our honey used to actually be
called by his given name! why don't i remember this clearly? he's
always been list mummy hunny to me. i'm sure those of you who are
tried-and-true oldskoolers on the list are probably not shocked and
amazed by this, but what can i say? i'm easily amused.
speaking of easily amused, i was at work yesterday and i wore my
study at stow shirt and the cutest little indie boy came in and i
sold him a french press and a half pound of coffee, thinking how nice
would it be if he was a belle and sebastian fan and noticed my shirt
(even though all but that upper "s" curve was hidden by my apron),
but no luck. we'll just have to see if he ever comes into the store
again. hey! maybe he's on the list and now i should be thoroughly
embarrassed if he is.
but i truly have to get back to work, i just don't want to.
oh, and for the record, back some many months ago (possibly a couple
years), chris jones's posts were all dated 1996, and so they ended up
at the top of my "sinister" mailbox, and i was lucky if i remembered
to check up there. well, once every couple months i stick most of the
mails i have in my "sinister" folder and put them into an archived
folder. tonight, in order to find the "welcome to sinister" message,
i had to look in the archive. anyway, i found about three posts from
chris jones that had never been read. and i just wanted to apologize.
i'm guessing they ended up at the top of the mailbox and i moved over
the old stuff without checking for them, so, chris, if you're still
on the list, i'm sorry i didn't read those posts. i'll do it tonight,
i swear.

-kerry
--

"here i am, this is me. i am yours and everything about me,
everything you see . . . if you only look hard enough."