Sinister: Down in the tube station at midnight

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Thu Apr 5 19:36:23 BST 2001

I want to go on that New York Subway tour!  I do!  I do!  Gimme!

All I know about the stations that are closed on the London Underground (not
metro, that sounds bludy French) is that there's one called York Way between
Caledonian Road and King's Cross where you can see a row of bright lights
and a shadowy platform and my mother used to yell "York Road!" (sic) when we
went through it when I was little(r).

When I was a stoodent, I had a Glaswegian friend called Alexander who
reckoned that Glasgow people HAD to be friendlier than London people as
Glasgow people actually talked to one another on their underground whereas
London people always kept silent on theirs.  I've never actually been to
Glasgow to see if this is true, but I promised myself I would put this right
sometime this year and it will have to be the latter part of it as when I
return from the Hashemite Kingdom I shall have NO MONEY.

Having bought two Tortoise albums today I thought I'd better listen prior to
leaving for atp - time is tight, the stress, the stress.....

[leaves for room containing cd player]

[returns]

Oooh, I like "Benway" on "Standards".  The Make the Blurb as Confusing as
Possible Award is duly awarded tho, and that's from someone who spent ages
rotating the inlay card of the Beloved's "Happiness".

Means I now own albums by 3 atp bands, others being yo la tengo & broadcast.

I'm afraid I won't make AntiCiPate, as I'd have to leave Oxford for London
about, erm, now, but I'm sure it'll be magical and I'll see many of you
tomorrow at atp.

mArk