Sinister: Dream One You Had a Whole Lotta Fun...

JONATHAN NICHOLAS HOWELL ojh9 at xxx.uk
Sat Apr 7 02:20:18 BST 2001

Hello to all, I hope that you're feeling fine...

	...unless you enjoy feeling melancholic, in which case I hope that it's
raining and you're feeling a little alone.  Well I'm writing my second post
to the list ever from a little 24 hour computer room.  I haven't been here
in a while, as last time I was there seemed to be dried blood on the wall,
and I didn't like that.  However, it seems to be entirely better now, there
are little notes from other students telling you what doesn't work in a
friendly way. The blood has gone; there's even a folder with a picture of a
sunflower taped onto it at the back of the room (I have just sent a quick
message to the owner to tell her where it is).

	I'd like to give a big apology to anyone that wrote to me that I didn't
get back to... I was hit by deadlines all at once...  I'm incredibly rude
and forgetful in my correspondance sometimes... however, all the essays are
into my tutors now, and the books are read... being back on track I'm going
to try to catch up.

	Any of you fellows in the Yorkshire area, especially anyone near
Harrogate... I'm about to return hom for Easter for three weeks.  I hope
there are some good gigs on anyway.  Apaarently Clearlake are playing Leeds
on the 17th, so I might try to get along to that (though I may have to
travel the next day).  I've been listening to their new album (Lido)
recently and I have to say it's grate, after three listens I was very much
grabbed.  I'm incredibly lucky in that I write for my uni's magazine, and
the fellows in charge decided that I could write the music bits (despite
owning a digereedoo).  They made me music editor even though I questioned
their choice.  Now I sometimes get sent nice things now my music type
people, which I'm very happy about.  Lido was one of those.

	Have you ever been to a place that made you think of Belle and Sebastian,
somewhere that just felt right for it?  I hope that you have.  I hadn't
until two days ago, and then I found one.  We were out to celebrate my
friend Tom's birthday and we'd all decided to do this by going on a café
crawl, he's rather fond of cafés.  We stopped into one called the Blue
Creek Café (in Aberystwyth) where someone had been before.  It was just
Belle and Sebastian all over, something about the decoration.  It had
polished pine floors, pine tables, cushions everywhere and even fairy
lights (although it was very bright in there anyway). It was very small...
airy yet intimate, it felt like being in a friend's flat; I don't really
know what it was, I'm not describing it incredibly well, but the place
really conjured up the Belle and Sebastian feel for me.

	The staff where really friendly and there were games such as connect four
to play and magazines to read.  We ended up staying in there until
closing... all of us drinking vanilla tea, chatting and reading.  Near the
end of our stay I spotted Hot Ribena on one of the chalkboards and got
incredibly excited (thinking of all you fellows) I ordered one immediately
and was transported back to my childhood, remembering that hot ribena is
the best drink ever after a walk on a cold Autumn day (I love Autumn and
anything that reminds me of it is trully grate).  They also serve Sushi,
which I've always wanted to try but never had the chance to, I loved that
as well.

	Anyway, I was so entirely stuck by it's Belle and Sebastianicity that I
had to comment to the owner as I settled up...  She pointed to the CD rack
where Belle and Sebastian CDs were hidng, nestled amongst the others, and
told me that they usually played lots of Belle and Sebastian, but had the
radio on today instead.  Had the tables and chairs absorbed that magic
somehow, or had the owner instinctively created that feeling as the sort of
person who likes Belle and Sebastian might.  My parents came to visit today
(they're taking me home from uni tomorrow, though it'll be back to the
train for the next few trips here and back).  I took them there as I'd
liked it so much, and later mentioned it to my Dad (who is slowly becoming
a bit of a fan)  He knew exactly what I meant. I didn't know how the feel
had been created, but it was certainly quite wonderful.  If the owner or
anyone who works there is on the list, then I say a fond hello.

	Well, do I have any other news...  hmmm.  In my last post I mentioned the
Girl that looked like a Belle and Sebastian fan, but was scared when I told
her.  She bounded up to me a few days later and said Hi and asked if she
could borrow some... so I leant her the albums, and the EPs, and even the
means to play them.  She listened for serveral days and she really liked
them.  We had a few really good chats and everything was going well.  Then
I lost her for a few days and so things went not so well.  I found her
again today and we had another grate chat, there was certainly some
flirting but she might just be a  flirty person, and besides... I'm going
home for three weeks tomorrow and so is she, and they are rather far apart.

	Right then... That's enough about my life for now....  thankyou very much
for reading you fellows.  Speak to you all soon.

Love and Such.

Jonny.