Sinister: But Would Walt?

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Sat Apr 14 03:45:01 BST 2001

Hello Sinister.

Ah, does anyone else have a penchant for talking about themselves in the
third person?

> Romance is over. Shocks are apparently still on. Will
> their paths *ever* cross again, anywhere in the
> *world*?

Don't let them fool you into thinking they're talking about the music -
nostalgia for the romance of three chord song structures. Strobe lights
and electronic flipper noises suit them just fine.  So it only remains to
be discovered - who was the mystery date?

It was nice to see Nick Dastoor back - a momentous event earlier this week
that passed largely without comment.  I had the beginning of a post in my
head during statistics lecture - something about how lightning never
strikes twice and thunderstorms forecasted with the toast - but the Severe
Thunderstorm Warning was a dud, so I lost all momentum.  You know it's
frustrating - after dealing with the unpredictability of earthquakes in
CA, I was set to put all my faith in these Severe Thunderstorm Warnings,
but there are so many and most of them are false alarms so eventually
you feel the urge to walk around outside and dare lightning to strike.
But I have to admit I was somewhat frightened about the whole thing this
time last year.

So in the article that Nick pointed out, it was mentioned that B & S did a
cover of Glenn Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy".  And somewhere else, it was
mentioned that the end of "LLPJ" sounds amazingly like a song that I think
is a Glenn Campbell song with 'Wichita' in the title.  The TRULY amazing
thing is that on my flight back to Columbus at the end of spring break,
they had piped in music on the plane while everyone was getting seated.
And I think I heard the song!  At least, it sounded like "LLPJ".  Not that
there's anything wrong with having a variety of influences and adapting
the work of others.  They do it everywhere else without comment.  Like I
had to play variations on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by Mozart for a
piano recital in junior high - I can't believe my piano teacher made me
play that when everyone else was playing lovely romantic pieces like
"Fantasie Impromptu".

Archel wrote:
> ah yes, dating. i have never been on a single real date in my life,
> to my knowledge. imho, if you go out for the evening with someone who
> you haven't slept with, or at least snogged, then you're just friends.
> why call it a date? where is the line between friend and date? i say
> avoid the confusion and cut to the chase. if you go out with a nice
> guy/girl and end up in bed, cool. but why spend an evening being all
> anxious about 'etiquette' and 'signals'? it's a lot less embarassing
> eating spaghetti in front of someone *after* they've seen you naked.

It's incomprehensible and unfair that someone who can give such sound
advice and invent such saucy scenes should not be perfectly content!  But
then who said life was fair?  It's much better to read _Leaves of Grass_
to while away the hours at your aunt's Christmas party when you're
slightly drunk.  Then we'll decide whether or not romance is over.

Finally, Maria Sierra reported:
> Peter Miller and Steve Trousers are quite nice as well and both them
> wear lovely Camper shoes which I love!

Yes, but would Mrs. Welthorpe approve?  Orthopedically correct - well,
that's likely - but are they really just so?  (I have a personal interest
in her opinion cos I'm waiting for a light blue pair myself.  For once in
my life, I must wear light colored shoes during the summer - and not just
sneakers!)

Yours truly (and sorry for the length),
Youn